How to transfer large files between two computers?

Vizionz

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014
I've been have trouble transferring files between my brothers PC and mine since we need to wipe his. I can't use an external usb/hard drive since files are too large. I can't use a usb transfer cable since I do not have one. I haven't had any luck with windows file sharing, which I was going to use an Ethernet cable for. I simply get a glitch/bug on my brothers computer.

It won't let me enable file sharing, because when I click on "Change advanced sharing settings" nothing pops up at all, nothing opens. So if there's a fix for that, that would help a lot.

Any help on an easy way to transfer some files? I have had nothing but errors all night.

Solution
Get an USB-to-SATA adapter, with external power supply, take the harddrive out of your brother' PC, and copy files.

ANother option: Boot some Linux on LiveCD, share a folder on your PC, and transfer files.

USAFRet

Titan
No USB HDD
No USB transfer cable
No file sharing

You could pint out the hex values of the files, and type them in manually on the new system.
This may take a couple of forests worth of trees, though.

Why doesn't file and folder sharing work?

Vizionz

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014

Because I can't enable it on my brothers PC. When I got to "Network and Sharing Center" and try to click "Change advanced sharing settings" nothing opens up. Therefore I can't enable it on my brothers computer. His PC used to have this happen anytime he would click "Properties" for any program, nothing would open up.

USAFRet

Titan

You need to be in an admin account. Or you're doing it wrong.

What about uploading it to DropBox or similar?
Your only other option is to take the physical drive out, connect it in your system, and copy as needed.

Vizionz

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014

The account on my brothers PC is 100% an Admin account. It's just a * glitch that stops him from opening certain windows. I would use DropBox or something along those lines but the files are so large 1. You're limited to 2gb 2. my upload is horrible

USAFRet

Titan

Your options seem to be limited.

Vizionz

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014

Yep, limited to file sharing which isn't working either. Anyways thank you for the help!