How to transfer win 7 to new motherboard, drive, ddr3

You could _try_ to put the drive as-is into the new machine, boot off the Win7 installation DVD, and do a repair install. This will search for drivers that match the current hardware. Three notes:
1) Clone the drive first so that, in case of damage, you still have your data.
2) You will probably have to phone Microsoft to re-activate the copy of the OS. They've been decent about it with me.
3) If it works, immediately go to the Microsoft Update site and see what updates are needed for the drivers that you just installed. I don't know whether you will or not, but you may need to re-install the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
^_It is possible to do it that way but I could never be comfortable doing it. If a problem asserts itself (which often happens) I would always have to question whether some left over from the previous install was causing the issue.

+1.

IMHO you're far better off just buying new drives for the new machine and installing Windows and your programs onto them. That means your old system continues to work without any risk, and if you run into any issues during the break-in period you have the old system to fall back to. And you also get the benefit of a nice, clean install on your new machine.

davebaron

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I know this is an old thread an you probably have your computer working after a re-install, but thought I would answer it for future readers who need the solution.

It is indeed possible to transfer your installation and it is not difficult at all! :eek:

There is NO :non: need to reinstall. If you would like to keep your current configuration and applications, use sysprep.exe to prepare your Windows installation for the new hardware by entering the System Out of Box Experience. Sysprep will strip your installation of all drivers an detect and install the new ones on your first boot with the new hardware.

Here is a great tutorial at SevenForums. Follow these directions precisely and you will have no problems at all. (Do an image backup of your hard drive before starting to be safe)

If you recieve a fatal error when running sysprep, use msconfig and disable all startup items, restart your computer and then try again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

When complete you will need to reactivate windows with a qualifying license.

Hope this helps!

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Is this a new motherboard different from the old one? And what edition of Win 7 you have? OEM or Retail?
If this Win 7 is OEM? you can't reinstall it to the new board, but if it is retail version, yes you can install it.