Question How to transfer windows OS from HDD to SSD?

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi, I have recently gotten a new SSD for my pc because all this time I have been only using a 1TB HDD for Windows and games, I am wondering is it possible to migrate or clone windows only to the new SSD but use the old HDD as storage? If I am able to move windows to the new storage device, what would happen to the windows files on the HDD? I already know how to change the boot priority but I cannot do that yet once I have windows on the SSD. Can anyone help me thanks???
PC SPECS:
i5 7400, GTX 1060 3GB, 16GB Ram, 1TB HDD and 240 GB SSD

1. SSD must be large enough to fit all contents of hdd. So if used space on HDD is less than 200GB, then you can fit it onto 240GB SSD. If used space is more than that, then larger SSD will be required.
  2. Clone all contents of hdd to SSD;
  3. Disconnect HDD, boot from SSD;
  4. Reconnect HDD, clean, repartition, reformat and use it for secondary storage.

There is no way of migrating only windows from HDD to SSD, if you haven't separated OS from user data on different separate partitions.

Hi, I have recently gotten a new SSD for my pc because all this time I have been only using a 1TB HDD for Windows and games, I am wondering is it possible to migrate or clone windows only to the new SSD but use the old HDD as storage? If I am able to move windows to the new storage device, what would happen to the windows files on the HDD? I already know how to change the boot priority but I cannot do that yet once I have windows on the SSD. Can anyone help me thanks???
PC SPECS:
Usually the cloning software comes with the SSD. Samsung uses Samsung Data Migration software from their website. Otherwise, there are many tools like Acronis to clone your drive.
Once you cloned the HDD, you set boot from the SSD and you can then format the HDD from windows.
No, you can't only clone windows, it will clone everything on the HDD unless you uninstall programs from the HDD before cloning.

USAFRet

Titan
PC SPECS:
"migrate or clone windows only"

No. There is no tool or function to split things like that.

What size/make/model is the new SSD?
How much space is consumed on your current C drive or partition?

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
PC SPECS:
Better clean install it
It won't take long