[SOLVED] How to turn on my laptop with external wireless keyboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

divyansh369

Prominent
Feb 26, 2022
I want to turn on my Lenovo laptop with a wireless keyboard.
I have tried using bios but I didn't find any option of power management.

Solution
What is exact make and model of the wireless keyboard?

In Windows when wireless keyboard is conencted open control panel > device manager and expland keyboard. Right-click the wireless keyboard and go to properties then go to Power Management tab and uncheck 'Allow computer to turn off this device to save power' and check (enable) 'Allow this device to wake the computer' and hit OK.

Although the wireless keyboard might power itself down when idle to save power/battery. After you checked the above settings try hitting a key first to wake keyboard up and again and see if it wakes the laptop.

Also, each USB Root Hub and Wireless device have their own power properties in the Device Manager. Check power management properties of all of...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What is exact make and model of the wireless keyboard?

In Windows when wireless keyboard is conencted open control panel > device manager and expland keyboard. Right-click the wireless keyboard and go to properties then go to Power Management tab and uncheck 'Allow computer to turn off this device to save power' and check (enable) 'Allow this device to wake the computer' and hit OK.

Although the wireless keyboard might power itself down when idle to save power/battery. After you checked the above settings try hitting a key first to wake keyboard up and again and see if it wakes the laptop.

Also, each USB Root Hub and Wireless device have their own power properties in the Device Manager. Check power management properties of all of them and uncheck all 'Allow computer to turn off this device to save power' ones.

See if the keyboard wakes the laptop up with these changes.

Solution

divyansh369

Prominent
Feb 26, 2022
Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' and check (enable) 'Allow this device to wake the computer' and hit OK. This was already present and nothing happened. I want my laptop to turn on with keyboard keys or shortcuts without power button.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The power setting should be like this:

hqtL2JR.jpg

Also when wireless keyboard is present enter the following command in a Cmmand Prompt powercfg/devicequery wake_programmable and see if you see the wireless keyboard as one of the results.

In order to find out which one is the wireless keyboard if you can't tell by the results of the command , open Device Manager and expand Keyboards. You can disconnect/reconnect the keyboard to see which device disappears and determine its name by elimination.

So run the above command and keep CMD window open then disconnect the keyboard and run again and see which one is not present when disconnected.

After you find out the name of the wireless keyboard you can run the command powercfg /deviceenablewake "Keyboard name" and replace “Keyboard name” with the name of your wireless keyboard as shown when you ran the first command above. Make sure to put the name of the keyboard in double-quotes. By doing that the keyboard should be able to wake the laptop from sleep.

You can give this a try but when system is powered down/asleep there's no power to keyboard and in situations like these you might need a USB hub with its own power sourse. Also keep in mind that apparently some keyboards don't support this functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.