Question how to type "¿" on field for wifi password

Status
Not open for further replies.

thosecars82

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hello

I have OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5

Does anyone know how I can type "¿" in the field for a WIFI password?

I'm trying to connect to a wifi network that has this symbol "¿" as a character in the password. The computer allows me to type this symbol anywhere else for example in a word processor but not in the field for the wifi password.

Does anyone know how i could possibly work this out?

Thank you a lot in advance.

yian11

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I believe it's part of the Spanish or Portuguese alphabet. Try installing that and see if it works.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Have you tried Alt+168? (Hold down the Alt key while typing 168). That is the Alt key code for ¿

McHenryB

Admirable

The Alt+xxx combinations don't work on OS X; and 168 is not the code on a Mac that character.

McHenryB

Admirable
The real problem is that this is a very silly character to use in a password that will be used from different computers and other devices. Are you able to persuade the owner to change the password to something more usable (standard ASCII characters only)? Otherwise it's going to be very difficult to connect to that network from other than a Windows PC.

Edit: Note that the IEEE standard for wireless networks specifies that the password should consist only of ASCII characters with codes between 32 and 126. You've just discovered the reason for this.

thosecars82

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Thanks. I alredy tried "Option-Shift-? will produce ¿". It did not work either though. If what "McHenryB" said is right, then there might not be any other solution for this problem besides changing the router's wifi password.

Status
Not open for further replies.