Question How to update backup automatically?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
For example, I have many word and excel files to edit and update every day, it is very troublesome and inconvenient if I have to copy them to the backup location every time
after I have updated a file. How can I just work with the files freely and the backup will
be updated automatically

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, this is a very old problem, with MANY solutions.

O365 subscription and OneDrive would be today's answer for simplicity. You can just have your My Documents or whatever folders you choose backed up to a cloud server.
Alternatives like Carbon Copy exist.

Robocopy is part of Windows, you can use that to back up to any number of locations, including ones on your local network. Router's with a built-in NAS (Network Attached Storage) are quite common, check yours. You might just be able to plug an external hard drive (or other USB drive) into it.

You can back up the whole computer over night to some destination, a process called cloning.

The list goes on, and there is tons of third party software and solutions out there.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the reminder to turn on "AutoSave" which will automatically save the applicable Word documents and Excel spreadsheets as you work.

Not the same as a backup per se but AutoSave will relieve some of the burden to constantly click and execute an updated file as you work everyday.

[Note: AutoSave may well try to get you to save to OneDrive by default but you can change the save location as you require.]

Reactions: brannsiu

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Lots of software options here. My personal one is Bvckup2, which is simple and flexible, but there are lots of good ones out there.

That's fair, but I also manually check my backups and have never seen a discrepancy or anything missing. So far the program still works with no issues.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Windows 10 has a feature called "File History". You can set it up to run on a preset period, and it will backup specified folders to another folder / backup drive.

Hi, sound like it is the best solution because no third-party software is needed, but I mean, will it update the backup copy as well? Or just create
a backup file but doesn't update? Because my word and excel file are updated every day and probably every hour, I cannot always remember
to update the backup if it has to be done manually, this is my problem now.

TRENDING THREADS