How to Update MoBo?

• Thread starter Deleted member 956173
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 956173

Hi, So I was wondering how do I update a MoBo? I am going to buy a MSI B85m-G43 Mobo:

http://in.msi.com/support/mb/B85MG43.html#down-bios

With an i3 4150 Processor. Now someone said that you might not be able to boot because of out-dated drivers, So I want to be prepared for the worst.

Now I am super confused in which updates to install, Should I download and install all the updates listed there (A total of 8 Updates) Or do I just download the latest one? (Version 3.8)

Once I have done it, How do I update? I dont have a floppy drive, But I do have a 8GB usb.. So do I need to boot from the USB or something? And will the computer even boot to update the BIOS?

Update: The MoBo was preinstalled with the latest software, So I just placed the CPU in and it worked! No need to update anything!

Solution
Also just to cover the bases, If you did need to update the BIOS. Some of the newer system boards have a utility right in the BIOS. Another way is to down load a windows utility if offered. A bootable USB or CD is another option. What ever the method, the download will have instructions. Just make sure you are doing the update for a valid reason meaning that version has something you need to fix or update. If you have a mishap while updating, you could brick your system board so there are slight risks involved.
D

Deleted member 956173

That won't be a problem, Since I would do that anyways.. But you didn't exactly answer my question, Do I need to install all the previous updates as well or only the latest one?

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
If you're buying a new board it shouldn't be necessary to update the BIOS/Firmware. Usually is has the latest or very close to it. You would only update if you needed to fix a bug or if say the CPU is unsupported because it just came out. Other than that it's plug and chug.

D

Deleted member 956173

Yes, Apparently, That MoBo doesn't support Haswell Refresh Processors until it gets updated.. And the i3 4150 is a Haswell Refresh Processor. So I might have to update..

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Also just to cover the bases, If you did need to update the BIOS. Some of the newer system boards have a utility right in the BIOS. Another way is to down load a windows utility if offered. A bootable USB or CD is another option. What ever the method, the download will have instructions. Just make sure you are doing the update for a valid reason meaning that version has something you need to fix or update. If you have a mishap while updating, you could brick your system board so there are slight risks involved.

Solution

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Thing to keep in mind is you must have a functioning CPU to do the BIOS update.

D

Deleted member 956173

Wait.. So I wont be able to even boot to the BIOS screen?!

D

Deleted member 956173

Yes, I know I can brick it, But what's the point of MoBo when you can't even boot? Also, What if the CPU doesn't boot because of incompatible processor on the MoBo? Then what? No way to use a Windows utility!

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

To be on the safe side, look at the manual before you purchase to be sure the CPU is compatible.

D

Deleted member 956173

Thanks! I guess I'm safe then! :)