Question How to update my new gtx 1060 with the latest driver?

Mar 26, 2019
Hello,
My specs-
Inspiron 3670
i5-8400
16gb 2666 ram
msi gtx 1060 6gb aero itx
fsp 450 sfx psu

windows 10 home (1803)
os build 17134.648

nividia driver 368.81 (7-14-2016)

A few days ago I upgraded the psu (dell 290) and gpu (gtx 1030).I
used DDU in safe mode to do a clean install using new drivers.
The new card worked fine browsing web and watching video.However running benchmarks or opening games produces artifacts ( shapes, lines,colors)
Things I tried were to disable secure boot and enable legacy roms.
Older driver versions which landed me in 2016,even 2017 drivers cause the artifacts under load.
The card (1060) is preforming spectacular with the old driver.I just can not update the driver without the artifacts.
Anybody heard of this issue before?Help please.

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
OP has already stated that he has installed latest drivers, but simply can't use the latest drivers without getting artifacts as of current - If i'm not mistaken.

Usually I wouldn't think drivers are a sole cause of artifacts, usually there is an underlying problem. Generally the GT1030 suggests getting a 300W PSU - and the Dell own model ones are notoriously bad quality from my experience usually.

Is your system overclocked in any way at all?
Are there later driver updates available? Are you downloading the absolute latest ones from the NVIDIA website?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Mar 26, 2019
OP has already stated that he has installed latest drivers, but simply can't use the latest drivers without getting artifacts as of current - If i'm not mistaken.

Usually I wouldn't think drivers are a sole cause of artifacts, usually there is an underlying problem. Generally the GT1030 suggests getting a 300W PSU - and the Dell own model ones are notoriously bad quality from my experience usually.

Is your system overclocked in any way at all?
Are there later driver updates available? Are you downloading the absolute latest ones from the NVIDIA website?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
I upgraded the psu to 450 watt fsp and gpu to gtx 1060 6gb.I tried downloading the latest drivers from nvidia and not nvidia experience.I also tried resetting cmos .Have the latest bios and nothing is OC.Probably gonna try a fresh install of windows 10.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What temperatures are you reaching as the artifacts occur?
Are there any gaming applications that run with NO issue?
Do the artifacts still occur if you underclock your GPU?

This could still potentially be hardware, but obviously pointing to software.

Mar 26, 2019
What temperatures are you reaching as the artifacts occur?
Are there any gaming applications that run with NO issue?
Do the artifacts still occur if you underclock your GPU?

This could still potentially be hardware, but obviously pointing to software.
As soon I open a game or benchmark it starts artifacting and the temp is 45 (live in malaysia).Anything with 3d acceleration bonks(crazy shapes and what not) from the get go.I did try to underclock it with msi afterburner and it had not effect.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm struggling to see why people aren't reading your post properly...

I am assuming you're installing the drivers after removing them with DDU in Safe Mode?
I know this driver issue can occur when you delete the old drivers, and windows installs its own drivers in its palce before you install the latest NVIDIA drivers, which can cause a confliction. So just ensuring that you're not getting that confliction.

How old is the GPU, is it still under warranty?
I'm wondering if ultimately the latest drivers are utilising the GPU more effectively, and this is exposing a hardware issue. Less likely, but possible.

Mar 26, 2019
I'm struggling to see why people aren't reading your post properly...

I am assuming you're installing the drivers after removing them with DDU in Safe Mode?
I know this driver issue can occur when you delete the old drivers, and windows installs its own drivers in its palce before you install the latest NVIDIA drivers, which can cause a confliction. So just ensuring that you're not getting that confliction.

How old is the GPU, is it still under warranty?
I'm wondering if ultimately the latest drivers are utilising the GPU more effectively, and this is exposing a hardware issue. Less likely, but possible.
I think I am not good at explaining things.
I did do safe mode removal and install many times.
I just heard back from msi and they want me to update the bios of the card except they did not give me one and I can not find any bios for my card online.Have to wait for a them to give me one I guess.
The card has three year warranty as of the 12th of march 2019.

Last edited: