How to upgrade a ram

Sachin Mahesh

Reputable
May 12, 2017
Hello guys so i have this friends PC and i checked his specs i think he has got 2GB DDR3 RAM 667mhz or 800mhz ( dont really remember) so he is looking forward to upgrading it to 4GB so he has got another slot free and would like to add a 2gb ram. i checked online and there are rams with 1333mhz also ive heard both ram should be the same mhz if you want best performance. so please help me out. Also i would like to know whether the website crucial helps us to check what ram i could go on. so i would also like to know more about this

Solution
The crucial website is a good source to identify what compatible RAM modules you can use. The speed of RAM compatible will largely depend on your motherboard.

As for mixing RAM - To be honest it's almost complete pot luck with different memory modules. You're ALWAYS safer getting multiples of the same RAM module (ideally even in the same pack). RAM vendors often don't cover 2 different modules even of the exact same module, that's why they sell SETS of RAM.

Adding in different types of RAM sticks is a 50/50 bet, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The closer the voltages, speeds, sizes are, the more likely they are to get on, but there's really no guarantee. So mixing RAM is never a recommended practice, but it CAN work. As...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The crucial website is a good source to identify what compatible RAM modules you can use. The speed of RAM compatible will largely depend on your motherboard.

As for mixing RAM - To be honest it's almost complete pot luck with different memory modules. You're ALWAYS safer getting multiples of the same RAM module (ideally even in the same pack). RAM vendors often don't cover 2 different modules even of the exact same module, that's why they sell SETS of RAM.

Adding in different types of RAM sticks is a 50/50 bet, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The closer the voltages, speeds, sizes are, the more likely they are to get on, but there's really no guarantee. So mixing RAM is never a recommended practice, but it CAN work. As long as you set it up to so that none of your modules end up down-clocking one another.

So you're always best just getting a matching pair, as it can be an expensive chore to buy and install mixed RAM, to find that they don't work together. It's not that it never works, but it's a risk none the less.

Solution
667 and 800 MHz were DDR2 modules, not DDR3. So you better check it out again. Without knowing exactly what RAM your friend has (and preferably model of motherboard too), we can't help you much. But it is true that you should try to find as much similar module as possible to already installed, otherwise the risk that they will refuse to work together increases.

Sachin Mahesh

Reputable
May 12, 2017

yeah i used CPU-Z and it showed me DDR3 so i should open the cabinet and see for myself if its DDR3 or 2