How to upgrade motherboard while also having the free upgraded windows 10

Hombanguan

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Trying to upgrade my mini itx motherboard Asus h97i to a z97-e atx board. But I am not sure what to do like uninstalling stuff and what to uninstall. So can someone tell me step by step what i should do before switching out my motherboards. Also i've read online that if you have an upgraded windows 10 like me,(i had windows 8.1 upgraded for free to windows 10) it says if you make major hardware changes like motherboards you will lose your windows 10. Can someone tell me how to prevent that or a solution to this without a clean install. MY system build right now is listed below. The motherboard i bought is also linked below.

MY build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/V2kvKZ
New motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813132512

Solution
If you are running windows 10 Build 14371, you can link the licence to a Microsoft account which will allow you to reactivate with your current licence.
If you have a retail version of 8.1 and you still have the product key. You can simply just re-enter that product key to reactivate it as Window 10 build 1511 or higher should accept your window 8.1 product key.

If you want to swap hardware without a clean install, you would uninstall all drivers related to the motherboard. You may want to disconnect from the internet just in case window 10 automatically downloads and reinstall the drivers. You would then shutdown and swap the hardware. The OS should recognised you have a hardware change and should reconfigure itself on its first boot...
If you are running windows 10 Build 14371, you can link the licence to a Microsoft account which will allow you to reactivate with your current licence.
If you have a retail version of 8.1 and you still have the product key. You can simply just re-enter that product key to reactivate it as Window 10 build 1511 or higher should accept your window 8.1 product key.

If you want to swap hardware without a clean install, you would uninstall all drivers related to the motherboard. You may want to disconnect from the internet just in case window 10 automatically downloads and reinstall the drivers. You would then shutdown and swap the hardware. The OS should recognised you have a hardware change and should reconfigure itself on its first boot up. Afterwards, install the drivers for your new motherboard and check the window activation.

Solution