[SOLVED] How to upgrade storage in HP Omen 30L?

Dec 22, 2020
Hello everyone! I am a complete noob when it comes to computers and don’t really know much but I had a question about upgrading storage. I recently picked up myself an HP OMEN 30 L gaming desktop which came with a 1 TB HDD and a 256 GB SSD already installed. The pre-built-in SSD is a 256 GB Western Digital SN530 SSD and it is fitted into the m.2 slot. My question is if I wanted to upgrade it to a 1 TB SSD (this is the one I am looking at to replace the 256 gb one- ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YFFX5M...olid=3GONJ0SK91JLV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ), is it as simple as unscrewing the old SSD from its slot and just plopping in the new one and screwing it on?

I also saw a whole thing about copying what's on the SSD and cloning it to the new one? I don’t really understand what that is about and got a headache thinking about it. If someone would be able to clarify; is windows 10 and all the programs that came with the PC fresh out of the box on the SSD? Would just plopping in a new SSD in the slot where the old one was do any harm? I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction as I am completely lost. Thanks so much!

This is the PC I had just picked up yesterday at Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-30l-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-series-3700x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-black/6402514.p?skuId=6402514

Solution
windows 10 and apps are on the 256GB SSD. If you replace this SSD you will have to reinstall windows 10 and the apps. Backup your personal data to the HDD, use the microsoft windows media creation tool to get an USB install media.
install the new SSD, install windows 10 using the just created USB boot drive

if windows was activated before, it should activate automatically after the install as well without you doing anything, only be connected to the internet for it.
To be sure it will activate, you can create a microsoft windows online account before replacing the SSD.
windows 10 and apps are on the 256GB SSD. If you replace this SSD you will have to reinstall windows 10 and the apps. Backup your personal data to the HDD, use the microsoft windows media creation tool to get an USB install media.
install the new SSD, install windows 10 using the just created USB boot drive

if windows was activated before, it should activate automatically after the install as well without you doing anything, only be connected to the internet for it.
To be sure it will activate, you can create a microsoft windows online account before replacing the SSD.

Solution