News How to Use a Tablet or Phone as a Second Monitor in Linux

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
This is quite a useful how-to.

Also, users of a second monitor might want to consider setting up a multiseat system, which means that two people can use one single computer simultaneously. (also need another mouse and keyboard)

Multiseat can be set up in the command line using systemd and there are also UI programs available so that the process can be point-click-done.

ballsofteal

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
This killed my X! I have an AMD iGPU, I needed to delete 20-intel.conf in order to make X work again. Could my hardware be at faulr or are there alternative steps I can take so this works on AMD hardware?

Reactions: zfgf
Feb 22, 2022
This killed my X! I have an AMD iGPU, I needed to delete 20-intel.conf in order to make X work again. Could my hardware be at faulr or are there alternative steps I can take so this works on AMD hardware?
My X also got destroyed! I dont have amd hardware ,so ts not an amd Problem ig. Thx for writing how you solved it btw!

Feb 23, 2022
So this is what I've done precisely. Got so eager (and dead tired btw) that I followed the instructions like a total moron without reading the details. Nearly bricked my computer, Good I could log into second console and undo what I screwed up.
No offence to the developer, just a warning: always read the readme files before you do anything. Think of yourself as a Linux guru? Think again :D
This is not for NVidia cards. I will have to test it anyway on a second machine that has a Intel I945 built in graphics chip.

Jun 6, 2022
So this is what I've done precisely. Got so eager (and dead tired btw) that I followed the instructions like a total moron without reading the details. Nearly bricked my computer, Good I could log into second console and undo what I screwed up.
No offence to the developer, just a warning: always read the readme files before you do anything. Think of yourself as a Linux guru? Think again :D
This is not for NVidia cards. I will have to test it anyway on a second machine that has a Intel I945 built in graphics chip.

I had a problem with this software too. I'm quite a newbie with linux... how did you fixed it?

sean.seoltoir.ss

Honorable
Oct 28, 2017

Join the club! :)

I made the mistake of trying to install it on a Raspberry Pi4 and ended up with a command line interface with none of my drives mounted... Don't know if I had internet access, but without a GUI, it's not much use... Was getting ready to figure out how to manually mount a drive in order to backup everyone on the Pi4... Noted the README file in the virtual-display-linux directory and saw where it mentioned that it only worked on Intel based machine and to remove the 20-intel.conf file... Removing it and rebooting the Pi4 got me back to a GUI...

TRENDING THREADS