How to use an anti static wrist strap?

fun4678

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
People say to strap it to my case but my case is ALL painted. What do I do besides plugging the power supply into the wall (doesn't seem safe)

Solution
Quick and dirty is to just scrape the paint off in an inconspicuous area, or screw in a stand-off onto the chassis. If the PSU is plugged into the motherboard, you can clip to the PSU and still maintain protection.

If it's not connected to the wall, the center pin on the PSU's power socket is a ground. (I don't recommend this)

fun4678

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Could I use another computer? The inside has unpainted metal. My grandpa is an electrical engineer and he said NOT to connect it to anything but the computer I'm working on. I'm very confused and don't want to fry my components.

Saberus

Distinguished
Quick and dirty is to just scrape the paint off in an inconspicuous area, or screw in a stand-off onto the chassis. If the PSU is plugged into the motherboard, you can clip to the PSU and still maintain protection.

If it's not connected to the wall, the center pin on the PSU's power socket is a ground. (I don't recommend this)

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well its very unlikely your going to fry any components in the first place even without and anti static strap, as long as you aren't rubbing your feet on the carpet then touching your parts you should be fine. I have built many computers and never hurt anything with static. I never hear about it happening either. But i understand being cautious removing some paint should be fine or using another computer without a painted chassis should be fine too.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Its not ideal but its probably than having no anti static strap. This may sound weird but if you want to go the extra mile take your shirt off when you build your computer especially if its polyester or cotton so your shirt isn't rubbing against itself when you move your arms causing static. And build the computer on a wood or laminated table on a wood floor (or anything other than carpet).

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Lol that's what i would do in your situation. You will be okay take a deep breath and build the computer its very unlikely you will kill anything with static.