Question How to use both an integrated and dedicated graphics card on a laptop

Jun 3, 2019
My laptop is a HP Omen 15 from 2018, and it has a dedicated GTX 1060 and a i7-8750h CPU. However, I cannot find the integrated graphics card (Intel UHD Graphics 630) in device manager. If I try and install the drivers from intel, I get an error saying that I do not meet the minimum requirements. There also isn't any option in the BIOS to switch between cards. I need the integrated card as it uses less power so is better than using 1% of my 1060 for basic tasks.

Some newer laptops have a built-in switch mechanism. If you're simply surfing the internet, watching internet videos etc., the computer will use INTEL HD graphics chip, because it uses less power which leads to longer battery life.

When you're gaming, your laptop should automatically switch to your dedicated GPU, IMO. Anyways, give this a try:

Go to NVIDIA Control Panel 3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings Tab, under Global settings and select Integrated graphics , under the "preferred graphics processor" option.

IF that doesn't work, then try this. Go to Control Panel > Hardware/Device Manager > Display Adapters > right click Intel HD Graphics and click on Enable. Not sure if your Laptop supports the Optimus technology, but this method might help on some laptop models.

Use the following steps to adjust graphics processor preferences.
  1. Right click on the desktop and select NVIDIA control panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D settings.
  3. Click Global Settings.
    Note: To change settings for an individual program, select Program Settings instead of Global Settings.
  4. Select your preferred graphics processor:
    • Auto-Select – Provides a balance between performance and power savings.
    • High-performance NVIDIA processor – Provides optimal performance.
    • Integrated graphics – Provides optimal power savings.
  5. Under Settings, you can adjust the settings for each feature to meet your needs.
  6. Click Apply to save your changes.

Jun 3, 2019
I tried these but I cannot find the “preferred graphics option” setting. Also the integrated gpu doesn’t show up under device manager. Thank you for the quick response though.

Jun 3, 2019
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Well, it does come with Intel Graphics 630, so it could be the nVidia drivers getting in the way. As I recall, in the early days of the nVidia drivers for notebooks, you needed to install the Intel drivers first and the nVidia drivers after, so the "Optimus" technology for graphics switching would work.

Cheers!

I uninstalled nvidia drivers and installed the drivers provided by hp for the integrated gpu (it detects your systems and shows the drivers you need). Weirdly enough, when I installed the intel drivers, my 1060 showed up again in device manager

I uninstalled nvidia drivers and installed the drivers provided by hp for the integrated gpu (it detects your systems and shows the drivers you need). Weirdly enough, when I installed the intel drivers, my 1060 showed up again in device manager
Yep, because Windows doesn't "forget" about the drivers it has installed previously. Plus, I believe for Windows 10 they added a WHQL version of them to be downloaded from the Windows Update thingy.

Cheers!