[SOLVED] How To Use Cmd To Restore A Raw USB-Flash-Drive's Vol-Name/Fat-Id/Folders/Files

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Sandisc USB 64gb Drive H:\, started to not be able to save files to 1 day ago. After the computer needed to be restarted the USB drive H:\ was not showing up on Computer-folder. Now the USB-drive is showing up on the Computer-folder's drive's list, but, the H-drive's info says that it's 100% empty and the properties page will not accept a label name. It shows this message: "The volume label is not valid. please enter a valid volume label."

When I try to click on to the "Quick-Format" link from the drives context menu there's no response. I want to recover the folders/files from this USB-Drive, but it needs to be renamed 1st so that it can be recognized. So far, Partition/Folder/File Recovery Tools cannot Recognize and/or Scan this USB-drive.

Diskpart CMD: DISKPART> LIST DISK

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B

* Disk 1 Online 57 GB 57 GB

Disk 2 Online 28 GB 0 B
Disk 3 Online 931 GB 0 B
Disk 4 Online 931 GB 0 B

DISKPART> LIST VOLUME

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 System Rese NTFS Partition 100 MB Healthy System
Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 465 GB Healthy Boot

* Volume 2 H Removable 0 B Unusable

( there is no name listed and it's FAT32 but not listed )

Volume 3 E UUI FAT32 Removable 28 GB Healthy
Volume 4 F Seagate NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy
Volume 5 G Seagate NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy

Solution
Give PhotoRec in deepscan mode a try, it comes bundled with Tesdisk which is also very good.
Photrec can recover more then just photo's ... Plus it is completely Free!

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Sandisc 64gb USB flash drive, I need to recover the files with Recuva software but it needs to somehow be ( renamed ) recognized and scanned by the software.

Using CMD: How to Recover Deleted Files From USB without Software

Step 1 Connect your flash drive to computer. Make sure it can be recognized by the PC.

( backup H: ) is in the list of HD's )

Step 2 Open Command Prompt on your Windows PC. You can press Windows Key + R, then type cmd to open it.

Step 3 Type ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D G:. G is the USB drive letter. Replace G with the drive letter of your USB drive.

Step 4 Hit Enter.

"Path not found - H:\"

Last edited:

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
I shut down the PC and removed the power cord, now I can "quick-(re)-format" the usb-drive, but, I'd rather somehow get this usb-drive to take a new volume-name and start working again with all of it's folders/files displaying. What can I do to avoid having to do a quick-(re)-format ?

When I try to open this Disc-H there is a message: "

"Insert disk - insert disk into backup (H)"

The name "backup (H)" is the volume-name I tried to give this usb-drive in "properties/general" before I shut the PC down and fixed it's ability to be recognized enough for (re)-formatting after the PC was restarted and the "volume-name" is still empty in this usb-drive's properties page/general.

The last time I tried to fill in the volume-name there and save it, it was not accepted with a message. But the name I typed in did show up and remain in the Computer folder's drives-list and is still there now.

Last edited:

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
So you've given up recovering data?
You can always change the name of the drive , just right click on it in File Explorer/Manager and select 'Rename'.

Not at all, I'm just starting to try and figure out how to recover the folders/files off of this ( now ) Raw USB-drive. File explorer won't allow the drive/volume to ( Simply ) be renamed and I want to restore the disk using CMD/Diskpart and not have to use the quick-(re)-format method.

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
AOMEI Partition Assistant Basic Trial Version Software is shown here doing a Deep Scan, but it cannot follow any file path to recover any folders/files, because the USB-drive is not formatted.

Disc-3 - 57-gb Unallocated - Basic MBR

View: https://imgur.com/234znuP

vvv - Win-7 msg: You need to format the disc in drive H: before you can use it. vvv
vvv - Win-7 Format-fill-out/form/tab, with some missing prefilled-in usb-drive info. vvv

Last edited:

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Any advice on how to restore this Raw USB-flash drives volume-name, file-system-type-info, stored-folders/files, using Windows CMD, Diskpart utilities and other reliable effective freeware/shareware utility software. Because it is so far at least being partially recognized in it's Raw Unformatted condition.

Last edited:

welner

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Buy a new one

Why buy a new one ? ... That won't help to recover any of the data that's still sitting on the lost partition.

Here's my question:

Any advice on how to restore this Raw USB-flash drives volume-name, file-system-type-info, stored-folders/files, using Windows CMD, Diskpart utilities and other reliable effective freeware/shareware utility software. Because it is so far at least being partially recognized in it's Raw Unformatted condition.

D

Deleted member 14196

Try professional data recovery service that’s your only hope as told to you above

Even then there’s a little help of recovering any data on a trashed USB drive like that. It is failed it is done