[SOLVED] How to use High Power Plan in Win10 and my CPU still can downclock to 800Mhz when idling?

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Asus Z590, 10900KF (OC'ed to 5.1GHz). Using Win10 64bit pro

I am using High Power Plan in Control Panel and CPU clock remains at 5.1Ghz in monitoring software even if idling and CPU usage is so low.

I have minimum CPU power to 5% and Max to 100%.

I have latest BIOS. All intel C states are enabled in BIOS

Please advice

Thanks

Solution
that doesn't make any sense, the only difference between balanced and High Performance is how it treats the CPU, so running High Perf with 5% as minimum is essentially running Balanced

• Balanced: Balanced automatically increases your CPU’s speed when your computer needs it, and reduces it when it isn’t necessary. This is the default setting, and it should be fine most of the time.
  • Power Saver: Power Saver attempts to save power by reducing the CPU’s speed all the time and lowering screen brightness, among other similar settings.
  • High Performance: High Performance mode doesn’t lower your CPU’s speed when it isn’t being used, running it at higher speeds most of the time. It also increases screen...

Colif

Win 11 Master
that doesn't make any sense, the only difference between balanced and High Performance is how it treats the CPU, so running High Perf with 5% as minimum is essentially running Balanced

• Balanced: Balanced automatically increases your CPU’s speed when your computer needs it, and reduces it when it isn’t necessary. This is the default setting, and it should be fine most of the time.
  • Power Saver: Power Saver attempts to save power by reducing the CPU’s speed all the time and lowering screen brightness, among other similar settings.
  • High Performance: High Performance mode doesn’t lower your CPU’s speed when it isn’t being used, running it at higher speeds most of the time. It also increases screen brightness. Other components, such as your Wi-Fi or disk drive, may also not go into power-saving modes.

The differences are tiny. So why do it?

Solution

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007

The differences are tiny. So why do it?
I'm not telling you stories to make or not to make sense.
In COD Warzone CPU doesn't not run at 5.1 unless I am using high power plan. Otherwise it runs at 4.9 despite the 5.1 all core OC.
I still need it to go down to 800mhz at idle (with using high power plan)

TRENDING THREADS