[SOLVED] How to use old external as internal hard drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
I have an old 2T external hard drive (Seagate) that i want to use as an internal hard drive. Can someone help me with this, but PLEASE be as descriptive as possible , cause i'm not any were near as smart as you tech savvy member's .

Thanks and stay safe out there . ;)

Solution
yes there is . i have a bunch of <personal data, Mod edit>i want to keep . i recently got a new external hard drive (3TB) for my new PC , so what do you advise me to do first . shuld i connect the old exturnal and copy or move it to the new exturnal hard drive , or just leave it on .
Copy whatever is on there to some other storage space.
Break open the case.
Hopefully, that will expose the drive and probably regular SATA connections.
Connect it internally in your PC.
Maybe the data will be directly readable, maybe not.
If not, Disk Management, delete all partitions, and reformat. (this is why we copied the data elsewhere first)

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Sounds like your ready to break that puppy out of it's case. Be gentle because platter hard drives should be handled like fine wine glasses because they are fragile.
If you man-handle it or drop it on the floor.... it very well may be dead

Maxx420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
well the 2TB seagate ( the old external that i want to use as internal drive) i've just about deleted every thing off of that except the movies i want to keep (intent on deleting those to).......but i'vr run in to a bit of a problem.......... earlier i had the old drive (segate) hook up to the PC and the new external drive (WD MyBook) was also connected and then some how(I have no idea or how) but the new drive back up everything on the seaate (I think twice) and now the new drive (3TB)is full and i have no idea if i even want to deal with this ............just about to give up and waste for that 2nd stemless check to come and spend it on getting a computer tech