Question How to use router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
At first, I connect my Windows 10 desktop PC to Internet through an Ethernet cable to a box the ISP gave me. I have no idea what the box is called by experts. All the information I have is that the box is white and prints "eero".

Now I have two Windows 10 desktop PCs and I want them to communicate like ping or telnet. I hear that there is a thing called "router" that can do this job, so I purchased "UISP EdgeRouter X". I chose it just because it's a router and it's cheap. Now the router has arrived, but I don't know how to connect (maybe you prefer the verb "install"). For now, I don't have the ambition to communicate between two of my PCs using this router. I just need to have my first PC connected to Internet as before with the router getting in. There is an Ethernet port named "eth0/PoE IN" on the router. Because of the "IN", I'm guessing it is kind of an input of the network. So, I connect this port to the white eero box the ISP gave me. Then, I connect my PC to a normal port of the router named "eth1". Of course I also plugged in the power adapter and reset the router with a pen.

But my PC can't connect to the Internet.

The above connection scheme is the best I can figure out. I also blindly tried different ways of connection with other ports and it does not work. So, I'm at my wit's end. I read the Quick Start Guide but can't get any help from it. So, I ask here. Please teach me how to use router so that my first PC can connect to Internet as if there is no router getting in, and, if it does not bother you too much, how to connect my second PC to the router so that they can communicate. PS, all I want is wired connection. No wireless/wifi. Thank you.

You picked pretty much the worst option as a first time user. The ubiquiti edge router is a good device but it has many features which makes it complex to use and configure even for someone who has lots of experience in networking.

The EERO box is likely a wifi router.

How many ports does the EERO box have. Some have a wan port and 4 lan ports. You just plug your devices into the lan ports.
Now there are some that only have 1 wan and 1 lan port. In those cases you just use a simple switch to add more more ports.

Not sure where to even start to explain how to configure a ubiquiti box. I am not sure what the default config is.

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
For the EERO box, there are two ports which looks like Ethernet port. One of them is connected to a smaller box the ISP gave me. I'm guessing that that is a modem. The other port is connected to my computer. There is no more connectors on EERO box except the power-in. I'm guessing the former is the WAN port, and the latter is the LAN port, right?

Thank you for telling me the bad news. I don't even know if the router was damaged in the transit. Maybe going to a local computer repair store is a feasible option for me now.

It is not likely defective it likely just needs to be configured. You will have to read the manual and hope they have a example of a easy setup

You easiest solution is likely to buy a 5 port gigabit switch for about $20.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is this your EERO device?

bill001g is spot on. You can add more ethernet ports by connecting a switch. With something like this:

For basic home use, you don't need the additional device mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS