[SOLVED] How to use the resources from another computer over the internet?

leon.maderic

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
The question is a little weird, but basically is there a way to use a certain computer's "horsepower" by connecting to it over the internet. I'm shooting for something similar to Google Stadia, but with my computer doing the work, so someone else can connect to it.
I'm not thinking about playing games this way, it's just that my friend has a pretty weak laptop, and since he needs to do some stuff for school I figured maybe I could run the program and he can just connect to my PC. Now I know that the probably the most simple solution would be to just use TeamViewer, but if I did that then I wouldn't be able to use my computer while he is doing something. One solution I thought of is running a VM and letting him connect to that, but a VM is slow enough as it is, connecting to it over the internet would probably make it feel like you're watching a slideshow rather than running a program.

Solution
Remote Desktop Connection.
But that will require at least Win 10 Pro or higher, to have 2 different accounts interacting with the system at the same time.

And of course, whatever resources he's using...won't be available to you.

USAFRet

Titan
But that will require at least Win 10 Pro or higher, to have 2 different accounts interacting with the system at the same time.

Solution

leon.maderic

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
I looked into it, but since he would need to connect remotely I would have to set up a port, and for some reason that doesn't work on my router. Or I should say id does work, but it stops working randomly.
Thanks for the comment though!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

In my own case I utilize RDC to connect to 10 Pro machines in my house in order to perform maint. tasks. Any time that I log into a machine the local desktop goes black while connected.

USAFRet

Titan
In my own case I utilize RDC to connect to 10 Pro machines in my house in order to perform maint. tasks. Any time that I log into a machine the local desktop goes black while connected.
Right.
There is a workaround for that. Or at least there used to be. Allow 2 simultaneous users.
I've done it before, connecting to one of the other systems. That hole may have been closed, though.

Reactions: punkncat