[SOLVED] How to use three external monitors on a laptop that only supports two ?

markyork67

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
For four years I had my three monitors connected to my previous employer's laptop via a docking station.

Now: new employer, new laptop. They didn't provide a docking station, so I purchased a USB hub (reimbursed by my new employer) that can handle three monitors (it has two HDMI ports and a VGA port). I connected everything up, but the third monitor wasn't displaying. After much troubleshooting, research and trial and error, I found that the laptop only supports two external monitors. The laptop doesn't have a dedicated graphics card - just an integrated Intel UHD Graphics adapter.

So now I have an unused monitor on my right on my monitor desk mount.

I'm wondering if there is any way to make that third monitor usable - either as an extension of the middle monitor to make a widescreen of sorts, or is there some way to "trick" the system into making the third one and external monitor?

Laptop is a Lenovo T14 Gen1

USB Hub is Hiearcool USB-C Laptop Docking Station

Monitors are as follows:
Left hand monitor: eMachines 23", 16:9, 60Hz, 1920x1080, VGA and DVI connections
Middle monitor: Acer 27", 16:9, 60Hz, 1920x1080, HDMI, VGA and DVI connections
Right hand monitor (the unused one): Benq 22", 16:10, 1920x1080, VGA and DVI connections

I'm using a DVI cable on the left monitor, with an adapter to connect it to one of the HDMI ports on the USB hub.
I have an HDMI to HDMI cable for the middle monitor.

What - if any - are my options to use that third monitor with my employer's laptop?

Last edited:
Solution
Mark, as you've discovered, you can't drive three external displays with Intel UHD graphics. However, you can add a "USB 3 graphics card" for that third monitor. Do a search on the Amazon for your region and pick the one that's most appropriate and gets the best "verified purchase" reviews.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Mark, as you've discovered, you can't drive three external displays with Intel UHD graphics. However, you can add a "USB 3 graphics card" for that third monitor. Do a search on the Amazon for your region and pick the one that's most appropriate and gets the best "verified purchase" reviews.

Solution

markyork67

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015

Wow - I had no idea something like that existed. I ordered a DVI to HDMI cable (the third monitor has both VGA and DVI outputs) and a USB 3.0 to HDMI graphics adapter cable. I'll post back here when I get them.

Wow - I had no idea something like that existed. I ordered a DVI to HDMI cable (the third monitor has both VGA and DVI outputs) and a USB 3.0 to HDMI graphics adapter cable. I'll post back here when I get them.

You need an HDMI to DVI cable not a DVI to HDMI, the direction of the signal matters. If your video card has an HDMI output that is. You can also just have used an USB 3 to VGA video adapter and used the VGA cable without any adapters.

markyork67

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
You need an HDMI to DVI cable not a DVI to HDMI, the direction of the signal matters. If your video card has an HDMI output that is. You can also just have used an USB 3 to VGA video adapter and used the VGA cable without any adapters.

Sorry for the confusion. I have a DVI port on my monitor. I'm planning on getting a USB to HDMI graphics adapter, so I'd have to use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the monitor to the adapter.

markyork67

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Adding an update on this:

I ordered a Startech USB 3.0 to HDMI graphics adapter. When I got it I downloaded and installed the necessary driver, shutdown my computer plugged in the monitor to the external graphics adapter, started up my computer and presto! I have not just three, but four monitors now (my three monitors and the laptop).

Reactions: Secret-Squirrel