News How to Use Wget to Download Files at Windows' Command Line

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I always install Cygwin/X on any Windows PC I need to use. Then, just install wget through that way.

I find the default terminal very ugly and not UNIX-like in how it does copy/paste, so I use XLaunch to start the X11 server and then run everything from xterm. Just select to "copy" and middle-button pastes.
That all sounds REALLY complicated when WSL2 does a pretty great job.

You can even integrate it with VSCode so you can code directly into the WSL2 instance! Try it out!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That all sounds REALLY complicated when WSL2 does a pretty great job.
Cygwin? Given that it's most of the userspace environment + components as you get on a typical Linux distro, it's really quite an easy and painless experience. I probably wouldn't install it just for wget, but that wasn't the point. The point is that I install it and get wget for "free".

Probably the biggest benefit is that I can ssh w/ X tunneling and remotely run GUI programs on my Linux boxes.

I have yet to try WSL2. There's no need, really. Unless I need to do something serious, it's hard for me to see how it would suit my needs any better than Cygwin/X.

You can even integrate it with VSCode so you can code directly into the WSL2 instance! Try it out!
But, I don't use VSCode. I already developed just fine, on Linux, without it. And I really don't like screen-filling IDEs. I open each file it its own editor window and run commands or the debugger from a separate xterm.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Cygwin? Given that it's most of the userspace environment + components as you get on a typical Linux distro, it's really quite an easy and painless experience. I probably wouldn't install it just for wget, but that wasn't the point. The point is that I install it and get wget for "free".

Probably the biggest benefit is that I can ssh w/ X tunneling and remotely run GUI programs on my Linux boxes.

I have yet to try WSL2. There's no need, really. Unless I need to do something serious, it's hard for me to see how it would suit my needs any better than Cygwin/X.

But, I don't use VSCode. I already developed just fine, on Linux, without it. And I really don't like screen-filling IDEs. I open each file it its own editor window and run commands or the debugger from a separate xterm.
That's fair. Modern source control requirements aside (git integration), vscode really has a ton of creature comforts like a built-in terminal, plugins up the wazoo with support for just about anything, and is EXTREMELY customizable.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Modern source control requirements aside (git integration), vscode really has a ton of creature comforts like a built-in terminal, plugins up the wazoo with support for just about anything, and is EXTREMELY customizable.
I know people who use it and like it. No shade intended, but it doesn't suit my workstyle very well.

As for git, I'm not the world's most sophisticated user, but I do alright with the commandline tool + the github web interface.