[SOLVED] how to verify MD5 of an ISO file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2020
hi!
so a little while ago a very good friend gave me some iso files of different windows editions and i want to check them but i dont know how. i saw that a lot of people recommend checking the md5 and so i tried
i searched on youtube on how to get the md5 . got it with powershell but whats next? i tried searching it on google but i see just a few results and first of them is a dodgy russian site i've never heard of

kanewolf

Titan
hi!
so a little while ago a very good friend gave me some iso files of different windows editions and i want to check them but i dont know how. i saw that a lot of people recommend checking the md5 and so i tried
i searched on youtube on how to get the md5 . got it with powershell but whats next? i tried searching it on google but i see just a few results and first of them is a dodgy russian site i've never heard of
MD5 is only useful if you have the value from the ORIGINAL location. MD5 is just verifying that they bytes you have on disk match what the original file was. So if your MD5 values match a dodgy Russian site, then maybe your friend got these Windows files from a less than reliable source.

Jun 29, 2020
MD5 is only useful if you have the value from the ORIGINAL location. MD5 is just verifying that they bytes you have on disk match what the original file was. So if your MD5 values match a dodgy Russian site, then maybe your friend got these Windows files from a less than reliable source.
ok... understandable
but still is there any way to see if they have some sort of virus? i tried running a scan with malwarebytes and bitdefender on them and got 0 infected files
installed in a vm and ran malwarebytes a couple of times just to be sure and found nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.