How to verify USB-C fast charger is charging fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
I've been using a standard 5v 2.4a multi-port charger to charge our numerous iOS mobile devices. We use them heavily so I recently purchased a USB-C 20W PD 3.0 Fast Charging charger that is supposed to charge them much faster.

I tried charging my iPad Pro 12.9" and iPhone 8 using the supplied USB-C to Lightening cable and am not noticing any significant increase in charge time. I haven't done a fomal test where I time the recharge from a depleted battery, but just hooked it up and checked it periodically and haven't had that 'wow' moment like I was expecting.

I did try some obscure battery check app and it reported the same charge rate regardless of the charger used. I'm not sure I can trust that app. Is there a better way to verify the charge rate?

Here's the charger I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HRLNMM5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using a standard 5v 2.4a multi-port charger to charge our numerous iOS mobile devices. We use them heavily so I recently purchased a USB-C 20W PD 3.0 Fast Charging charger that is supposed to charge them much faster.

I tried charging my iPad Pro 12.9" and iPhone 8 using the supplied USB-C to Lightening cable and am not noticing any significant increase in charge time. I haven't done a fomal test where I time the recharge from a depleted battery, but just hooked it up and checked it periodically and haven't had that 'wow' moment like I was expecting.

I did try some obscure battery check app and it reported the same charge rate regardless of the charger used. I'm not sure I can trust that app. Is there a better way to verify the charge rate?

Here's the charger I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HRLNMM5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Let your phone completely die and then time it on the normal charger. Then do the same thing on the usb c charger. See which one finishes first.

The best way is to get a USB ammeter. This is a device that sits between the device and the USB outlet and can measure the current and voltage.

Also keep in mind that charging is fast only in the first 50%. After that the charge rate starts to slow down. I think at around 85%+ it doesn't really matter anymore.

Reactions: wahoowad

wahoowad

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Also keep in mind that charging is fast only in the first 50%. After that the charge rate starts to slow down. I think at around 85%+ it doesn't really matter anymore.

Thanks, that was helpful! I haven't had a device run down very low in the last few days so have been assessing performance at greater than 50% existing charge. I'll try to run my iPad down with a video or something and see how it does.

Any suggestion for a USB ammeter? Several times in the last couple years I've wished I had one. Now it's time to get one.

Thanks, that was helpful! I haven't had a device run down very low in the last few days so have been assessing performance at greater than 50% existing charge. I'll try to run my iPad down with a video or something and see how it does.

Any suggestion for a USB ammeter? Several times in the last couple years I've wished I had one. Now it's time to get one.
I tried one of the MakerHawk models, but it wasn't allowing the fast charging protocol to kick in when it should, so I returned it. But MakerHawk seems to be the go-to brand so maybe I was doing something wrong and didn't feel like figuring it out.

I'm sure someone like Ben Heck or EEVBlog looked at them.

Your devices also need to support faster charging. For example my phone has a "turbo mode" that charges it super fast when I use my laptop USB C charger.

Of course the simple test in the other post is, well, simple, and effective. Time the charging using both chargers from 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.