[SOLVED] How to watch Youtube on tv without wi-fi, casting, mirroring etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2020
Hello Friends,
Due to health concerns we have to shut off the wi-fi in our home. How do I watch youtube/netflix/amazon prime etc on my tv (not a Smart tv) without wi-fi. Do I plug an Ethernet cable into tv and use a laptop to navigate? Will this work or are there any other options available?
Thanks!

Solution
Thanks. I've read from a few sources that Smart TVs constantly search for a wifi signal even if you have that option disabled.
Well, you should read a little closer 🤷‍♂️ You have the option to turn off Wi-Fi and turn on ethernet, on the Samsung I have if you turn on the ethernet port the wifi is disabled "No blue light on the top of the TV". You also have the option to open up the TV and disconnect the Wi-Fi module entirely if you're uneasy with it even being installed.

Example
samsung-wifimodule.jpg

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Without Wifi
Hello Friends,
Due to health concerns we have to shut off the wi-fi in our home. How do I watch youtube/netflix/amazon prime etc on my tv (not a Smart tv) without wi-fi. Do I plug an Ethernet cable into tv and use a laptop to navigate? Will this work or are there any other options available?
Thanks!

There are two fairly easy ways that don't require high technical knowledge.

1. Buy a longer HDMI cable, it can be extender up to 50 feet but they are quite pricey. "Example"

2. Digital HDMI Extenders Example
You would convert your HDMI out from the laptop through an ethernet cable to the TV via two extenders.

Reactions: Wired and tired

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I currently have an older Panasonic Plasma tv. I'm in the market for a new non-smart tv.
You could always just grab a Smart TV with an Ethernet port, just plug that directly into your modem and you're done. 🤷‍♂️ That would give you access to a browser and all the apps you need from the TV.

TV's with Ethernet ports.

A non-smart TV could only be controlled off a source "PC/Laptop" and only as a 2nd display. Leaving the smart option open for the TV simplifies things.

Nov 25, 2020
You could always just grab a Smart TV with an Ethernet port, just plug that directly into your modem and you're done. 🤷‍♂️ That would give you access to a browser and all the apps you need from the TV.

TV's with Ethernet ports.

A non-smart TV could only be controlled off a source "PC/Laptop" and only as a 2nd display. Leaving the smart option open for the TV simplifies things.
Thanks. I've read from a few sources that Smart TVs constantly search for a wifi signal even if you have that option disabled.

Hello Friends,
Thanks!

If you are worried about WiFi signals, do you stay in the house all the time? You walk down the street you will pass through 50 WiFi signals before you reach 1/4 mile.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Well, you should read a little closer 🤷‍♂️ You have the option to turn off Wi-Fi and turn on ethernet, on the Samsung I have if you turn on the ethernet port the wifi is disabled "No blue light on the top of the TV". You also have the option to open up the TV and disconnect the Wi-Fi module entirely if you're uneasy with it even being installed.

Example
samsung-wifimodule.jpg

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.