[SOLVED] How to work on internet via remote desktop?

Feb 23, 2022
I am looking to use remote desktop on a remote site, as that site has network and WiFi issues regularly. Of course, I can't use that network itself, as if it is down I can hardly remote desktop in.

There must be a way for me to use remote desktop to work on a network remotely. If I set up a separate internet connection on the device, the problem is that when I connect to the WiFi, it, of course, connects to the WiFi and thus drops my connection.

Is there any way to segregate the connection so I can remain connected while still testing a separate network's WiFi?

Any suggestions regardless of feasibility are suggested.

Solution
If the wifi is the problem why can you not just connect your remote access machine via ethernet. You can then make changes to the wifi network without killing your connection.

Even if you were to use a second internet you would want than one connected via ethernet.

Your key problem is going to be the external access in either case. If for example you use a mobile broadband connection for the second internet you most times do not get a public IP. This would prevent you from getting any remote access. You will need to have both a public IP as well as port forwarding.
Feb 23, 2022
Right now all I can think of is a device with it's own internet, connected to a separate device. The separately-networked device sends the instructions to the separate device, which attempts to connect etc, and then somehow sends the data back. This isn't ideal as it's complex and will be bulky.

kanewolf

Titan
I am looking to use remote desktop on a remote site, as that site has network and WiFi issues regularly. Of course, I can't use that network itself, as if it is down I can hardly remote desktop in.

There must be a way for me to use remote desktop to work on a network remotely. If I set up a separate internet connection on the device, the problem is that when I connect to the WiFi, it, of course, connects to the WiFi and thus drops my connection.

Is there any way to segregate the connection so I can remain connected while still testing a separate network's WiFi?

Any suggestions regardless of feasibility are suggested.
Is this a work network that you control? If not, you need to start by talking to whoever does. "Adding" an unregulated external connection would not be permitted in a typical work network. It is a HUGE security risk.

If the wifi is the problem why can you not just connect your remote access machine via ethernet. You can then make changes to the wifi network without killing your connection.

Even if you were to use a second internet you would want than one connected via ethernet.

Your key problem is going to be the external access in either case. If for example you use a mobile broadband connection for the second internet you most times do not get a public IP. This would prevent you from getting any remote access. You will need to have both a public IP as well as port forwarding.

Solution
Feb 23, 2022
If I connect the remote access desktop via ethernet, then connect to the WiFi to troubleshoot it, it will disconnect. I suppose I can do 90% of what I need to do via ethernet, but it's not the same.

The default in most cases is if both the ethernet and wifi are active it will use the ethernet. You can change the metrics if you want it to work different.

I now wonder what problem you are testing on wifi. In general you should be able to test all the radio stuff including changing the channels and ssid and passwords. You should be able to do all of this without getting disconnected.

After that point everything on the ethernet and the wifi is the same. If it works on ethernet it should work on wifi. For example anything relatete to IP addresses or using web browsers is all the same.