How We Test Power Supply Units

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008

Just because 80+ requires tests at certain specific point does not mean reviewers should not bother testing at additional points. Some PSU reviewers chart efficiency in 5% increments from 0% to 100% or shutdown/fail.

That is nice, but I was commenting on what the article says 80+ tests for, not what some good reviewers test for.

InvalidError

Titan

You buy a 500-2000W PSU with (or even without) 80+ certification. That PSU will get used at 5-10% load whenever the system is nearly idle, which can be most of the time for many people. That makes the 10% result quite relevant regardless of what the 80+ specifications require.

Instead of commenting that 10% load testing is not required for Platinum, I would comment that the 10% test should be included for all PSUs regardless of 80+ qualification since it is a valid comparison point between otherwise similar PSUs: if it looks like a tie between two PSUs, the unit with the highest 10% efficiency likely has a better design, along with providing lower long-term costs through reduced power and cooling bills.

I'm not saying it is 100% current nor am I saying the list is exhaustive (and there are some blanket coverages. Some of those blankets rightly so, but others that can catch new models that may deserve better or in some cases, worse.) My statement was relative to the other lists out there that I am aware of.

I'll be happy to support a list that is clean, accurate, and further up-to-date than that one if it exists.

I love me some PSU testing and electronics p0rn. I like reading JohnyGuru as he does his thing, really gets into the build quality.

Ok, so maybe they have to get an independent party to test them, and allow the public to access the results. Anything that will get the rubbish mislabeled psu's off the shelf. No other device can be mislabeled and sold based on lies, why is it the humble ATX psu can somehow circumvent the false advertising laws? Nvidia copped a lot with their 970 misinformation yet we let these PSU manufacturers get away with it?

It's cause the units still provide "power" at those overrated values, just not clean, useful or safe power. It's a technicality that is completely bullsh!t yet lets cheap third party OEMs get away with borderline fraud.

Personally I feel PSU's are one of the most important components in a system. Too often builders skimp on them in order to afford a higher rated CPU, GPU or SSD because nobody benchmarks PSU's. I always tell people that the components you never, ever, skimp on are the PSU and Motherboard. Both should be purchased from a reputable vender with a history of making quality products and not cutting corners to increase profits. Everything else in a system can be cheap parts and it won't cause major damage, but a cheap MB or PSU can blow everything else up.

Status
Not open for further replies.