How will an Audigy run on my computer?

G

How will an Audigy run on my computer?

Pentium 233
256MB Ram.

How will it run?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Somehwere between a one-legged chicken and a two-legged dog.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'm running a SoundBlaster PCI128 on a P133 system, believe it or not.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Are you guys just being sarcastic? Is it really going to run horribly? Why?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'm the only one on this board that likes the Audigy. But I'm also one of the only ones that actually owns one..

I dont know about that system, I've never thought of putting a soundcard like that in a system of that speed.
I would recommend a new computer first then worry about quality sound.
It has the lowest cpu utilization rate of any card so I would think it would be your best bet.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also think Audigy is great. The CPU will not really matter if you only listen to mp3 and does not play game. I use to listen to mp3 on my SB Live on a Pentium 166.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
But what's the point of getting an Audigy when all its useful features (Firewire, EAX, etc) won't be used because the system is too slow?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For computer I brought a lot of stuff I do not really need now but I think it will be useful in the future. My system only need a 350 watt PSU but I still get a 450 Watt one so I can add more components in the future. Sound card does not improve as fast as other component of computer. You can always reuse it in future upgrade. 3 years ago when I brought my SB Live I am using a Pentium 166 and only have 2 speaker so most of features are not that useful at the time. Now I am using the card with Athlon 1.4 GHz and Klipish 4.1 speaker.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
That's true. Sound technology doesn't advance as fast as graphics and CPU technology. I expect my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz to last me 5 years before it becomes completely obsolete. I had a SoundBlaster AWE32 in my P133 for 6 years before I replaced it with a SoundBlaster PCI128.

The AWE32 may be an ISA card but it doesn't sound bad with decent speakers.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I have and use an AWE32 (for DOS stuff) and it's one of the noisiest cards I've ever listened to. The DACs on this thing are horribly cheap. At high volumes, the hiss is almost unbearable. But I don't have much of a choice since I want full compatibility with DOS stuff (the SB16's even worse). I have it on the Line In on my Audigy and I keep it muted unless I run a DOS game. If I don't mute it, it adds considerable noise to my Audigy Line Out!!!

Ritesh

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
It'll run fine. The Audigy uses fewer CPU resources than the Live! did and far fewer than the ISA sound cards that were in their heyday when your machine was in its prime. Therefore the Audigy is a *better* choice for your computer than the older cards.

However, you need to ask yourself what you're using the card for. If it's for games, I'm sorry, but a P233 just isn't going to cut it for today's games! If it's for better sound quality in your existing applications, yes, it will deliver in spades over nearly any older generation card.

Nevertheless, make sure you don't install any of the extra junk that the Audigy installation kindly "suggests" that you install. Many of these extra features, like MP3 noise reduction, are performed in software and will place an extra burden on your CPU. All you need is the core stuff: AudioHQ, SoundFont control, the Speaker applet, and perhaps one or two others. EAX, MIDI, and digital sound playback are all accelerated natively by the Audigy's processor, so it largely doesn't matter what CPU you have.

Ritesh

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
One question, what was up with all the hatin on the Audigy early in this thread? Just a question, do you guys really have a major problem with Creative and the Audigy?
I understand you dont like the Audigy but whats up with the straight up lies about it? It should run the best of any sound card he could get..
It has the lowest cpu utilization rate of any sound card on the market as far as I know...

I'm just wondering if you guys are doing this out of hate, or seriously think the card wouldnt run good on his system? I'm just getting vibes you simply hate the Audigy because you might have had bad experiences with it and now own a Hercules card? Am i right?

I've seen slow celeron systems running a standard sound card and then pop in even a Live! card and watched skipping MP3s disappear, let alone a Audigy it has alot of sound processin power.

An Audigy is a great bet as it will last many years when he actually does upgrade his motherboard and cpu.. it'd be dumb to buy anything else when he can get one for $50...
if he gets something else than he's got to add the price of that card and the Audigy when he does upgrade everything cuz he's going to want to get rid of what he gets instead...

I'm not getting aggresive or mad I'm just really curious here.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Most of their hate is irrational (the Audigy is a great card), but one of Creative's weak points has always been driver support. The drivers are usually sub par and Creative, like, never gets around to fixing problems. Plus a lot of the Creative hate on this board comes from Athlon users (Via chipsets particularly), which Creative cards often have problems with. Few Intel users complain about Creative cards (other than the driver issues).

Ritesh

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
Well, I always owned an AMD-cpu and a Creative Soundcard.

K6-450 + SB AWE64
Athlon XP1800+ + SB Audigy Platinum

Encountered only one problem though, sound hangs sometimes in games.

Don't really know where prob lays. I guess it's the driver.
Used to have a K7 1400: no prob with sound, now with XP1800 and other mobo voices in games hangs.

Will wait untill new drivers come out.

For music and special effects this card rocks

Now available: notebook with Mobile Hammer CPU and Geforce6; awesome!

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
dcpsoguy,

I've no clue how the audigy will react on your system.
I thought the minimum is a K6 or PII-300, but I'm not sure though.

But like the others said, you will lose a lot of features.

Now available: notebook with Mobile Hammer CPU and Geforce6; awesome!

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'm not going to argue with you, I just asked a question why the glossing over the Audigy so quickly and easily.. it doesnt make sense to me.
I know you like your hercules but its not the end all of sound card discussions.
As far as VIA, that makes no sense, I got an Audigy when they were first available and I used a SIS 735 with it, a KT266 and a KT266A and have had zero lockups and zero problems but I use all high quality parts.
Besides the SIS735 was a ECS motherboard but it still gave no problems.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Everything I say is based off either my own experience or from reputable reviews (in the case of things like CPU utilization, etc).
I own a Live and used to own a KT7a-RAID. I had none of the normal 686B problems, and have never recommended against a Live or Audigy because of that. If you find that I have, I'd be happy to correct it.
Of course I can only speak for myself, not other members of this forum.

But the fact remains, you've recommended the Audigy over the GTXP and Santa Cruz for sound quality reasons, and I'm curious as to when you've actually heard those cards in action.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I told the individual in this thread that it has the lowest CPU utilization of sound cards.

Though I should not be answering this as I did not get a decent reply to my question, as far as my Santa Cruz experience a friend has one but I havent had extensive use with one.

I think the scrutiny deserves to be on you, you are the ones who had no reason to bash the audigy besides gang-mentality against creative and the audigy.
Thats why I posted the above message on the needless hate for the audigy.

As I suspected, its because you are defending what you own, if you had an Audigy you would be defending that.

I bought an Audigy for its low cpu utilization rate (the review I read said it made enabling sound almost free), the sound quality, EAX Advanced HD, and the specifications on the board.
There are good reasons for recommending the Audigy to this person in this thread from me and other THG members.
I do not see any good arguements against it.

Unless comments such as "horrible" and attempts to discredit myself count as pluses to the Santa Cruz/GTXPs credibility.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Instead of attempting to bash me (the thorn in your GTXP/Santa Cruz party you have going on here), this individual STILL has not gotten a decent reply besides from me upec, zeexen and Ritesh. Who all happen to be Audigy supporters or at least neutral.

I digress, I think everyone has seen enough and my point is proven.

<b>Poster: dcpsoguy
Subject: Re: How will an Audigy run on my computer?

Are you guys just being sarcastic? Is it really going to run horribly? Why? </b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
as I did not get a decent reply to my question

Sorry, which? I thought I answered them.

I think the scrutiny deserves to be on you

I've given my reasons for disliking the Audigy many times, you have yet to say why you keep recommending against the GTXP.

As I suspected, its because you are defending what you own, if you had an Audigy you would be defending that.

I could obviously say the same for you, however I also own two Vortex 2s, a Seismic Edge and a Live, all sitting in the same little plastic box by my desk.

I bought an Audigy for its low cpu utilization rate

Which is true, though my GTXP ran 1-2% on my 1.2 Tbird while playing MP3s.

the sound quality

Which I disagree with, but everyone has a different opinion of what good sound quality is.

EAX Advanced HD

Which is something the market has needed for quite some time, I'm glad Creative does what they do to further gaming sound technology. Pity no games support it yet, hopefully they'll come soon.

and the specifications on the board

The overall specs, or were you referring to something specific?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Like I said in my last two posts, I digress from this arguement. i will no longer run in circles with people who have their mind made up so surely (more like irrationally).

As far as why I recommend the Audigy over the GTXP, this has been stated by me many times in this thread alone..

Low CPU Utilization
Sound Quality (objective)
EAX Advanced HD
Price ($50)
Dolbly Digital decoding
Firewire port
More future usage than any card due to EAX HD

I concentrated on the low cpu utilization for this person because he has a slow computer, the future usuage will be important as he upgrades his system thats one less thing he will have to replace to be cutting edge, for $50 theres no reason for him not to go Audigy.

and its not a recommendation against the GTXP but a recommendation for the Audigy.. but that does imply that the Audigy is superior in my opinion to the GTXP so yes, you can assume that if you will.
The GTXP is a good card but I cant see buying one in the face of the $50 Audigy with firewire,EAXHD,Dolby Digital decoding, ect.

Anyone who reads this thread will easily see the dodging of my points and reasoning, but I admire your standing up for your earlier posts in this thread.