How will I know if my ram is compatible with my motherboard??

antoniopoopstfn

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Solution
The specs on your computer (from Ascendtech) says it uses DDR3 RAM, but ONLY 2x4GB, so NO, the 2X8GB won't work for you.

The specs on the (cnet) Gateway site say that you can install 2x8GB DDR3 RAM max.
Time to go back to the manufacturer with the specific info on your computer. Open the command prompt window in your computer and type:

wmic bios get name,serialnumber,version

this gets you all the info about your BIOS. Now type

wmic csproduct get name,identifyingnumber,uuid

This returns all the information about the motherboard you should need to talk intelligently to the manufacturer (Gateway/ascendtech) about what your motherboard can handle.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
The specs on your computer (from Ascendtech) says it uses DDR3 RAM, but ONLY 2x4GB, so NO, the 2X8GB won't work for you.

The specs on the (cnet) Gateway site say that you can install 2x8GB DDR3 RAM max.
Time to go back to the manufacturer with the specific info on your computer. Open the command prompt window in your computer and type:

wmic bios get name,serialnumber,version

this gets you all the info about your BIOS. Now type

wmic csproduct get name,identifyingnumber,uuid

This returns all the information about the motherboard you should need to talk intelligently to the manufacturer (Gateway/ascendtech) about what your motherboard can handle.

Solution

antoniopoopstfn

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

that sucks, but can I use all 4 slots? so can I use 2 2x4Gb's for 16gb of memory?

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017

sorry, I misread the sites. Reading it more closely now, I see that the max RAM for your system is 4 sticks of 2GB RAM for a total of 8GB (again, I'm sorry. It's been so long since I worried about 2GB of RAM that I misread it as "2 sticks of 4GB RAM"...). So, no, you cannot use 8GB (or 4GB) sticks of RAM in your system, only a maximum of 4 sticks of 2GB RAM each.

antoniopoopstfn

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

Dang, is the only way I can upgrade the amount of ram I can have to upgrade my mobo?

TRENDING THREADS