How will my computer connect to the internet?

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013
I have recently ordered this computer because i did not want to build my own because i am very inexperienced, as you may tell from this question. I was wondering how my computer was going to connect to the internet if it do not have an ethernet cable. I have a Gigabyte H81M-H motherboard and was wondering if i will have to buy anything extra to allow it to connect without having to buy a really long ethernet cable. Thanks.

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

Would i have to keep it in all the time? Or would it be a one time thing?

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

Darn, Ok. Will this slow the connection speed?

shure

Reputable
May 18, 2014
You have three options. You can either use WiFi, ethernet cable (which you've said you don't want) or Powerline adapters. The latter uses your normal electrical outlet to transmit the signal and is generally more stable than wireless and shouldn't reduce your connection speed at all because it's wired.

For wireless, you can either get an internal wireless card or a USB dongle. I believe (I may be wrong) that network cards have the potential to be quicker than a USB dongle. However, it would necessitate removing the cover of the PC to install it, which some people don't like to do. Once it's in, though, it stays there and you need never worry about it again:). A USB dongle has the advantage of being plug and play and you can remove it (should you wish) and connect it to another device at any time. They can also be very small, too, and not all are that noticeable when they are in place.

A lot depends on where your PC and router are placed and how far away from each other they are. Other things also come into play like how many walls are between the PC and the router and, if you choose to go the wireless route, how new your router is and what standards it supports (e.g. 802.11n, ac etc, as well as whether it's dual band or not). Finally, your usage requirements are also important (e.g. will you be doing a lot of gaming, streaming, transferring files over your network etc etc).

Can you provide more info?

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

I will be doing a lot of gaming, a bit of streaming and i have bought a 300mbps Wireless N PCI express adapter. I have checked that it fits my motherboard. I have a BT Home Hub (I live in the UK, so i don't know if you will know it) here is the one i bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006BSPTAQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Will it be fast enough to game and stream? My internet is about 30mbs down and about 8 up. (Don't know if that is relevant)

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

I will be doing a lot of gaming, a bit of streaming and i have bought a 300mbps Wireless N PCI express adapter. I have checked that it fits my motherboard. I have a BT Home Hub (I live in the UK, so i don't know if you will know it) here is the one i bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006BSPTAQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Will it be fast enough to game and stream? My internet is about 30mbs down and about 8 up. (Don't know if that is relevant)

shure

Reputable
May 18, 2014
30Mb is more than enough to game and stream - I manage it on my arthritic 8Mb! For gaming, you're probably more concerned with latency (ping time), which can suffer if your wireless signal is weak. The BT HH has a good rep so it should be fine, but a lot depends on how far away from the router you are and how many walls and doors are between you and it. If like me you live in an old Victorian house then you might find your signal is variable, which can also happen if you are in a built up area and you have a lot of people competing for signal space. But give it a try and good luck!

xRorz

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2013

thanks and the hub is at the bottom of my stairs and im almost exactly at the top, maybe going through 1 wall/door. Do you think it will have a good signal? i've been using a laptop wifi adapter tthing for ages and it's been perfect, so seeing as though my wifi card is bigger and has antennas, it will have better signal?