How Windows 8 Will Deal With Tons of CPU Cores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am afraid of what will happen when windows 8 is used with bulldozer. Bulldozer will become so seething with power that it will become self aware and be the new overlord of our dimension.

We actually might have to launch bulldozer into space and hope it reaches another planet with a civilization advanced enough that may have the software that can finally unleash bulldozers full potential.

G

Over at Phoronix.com, Bulldozer won plenty of Linux benchmarks, and fared better overall than in Windows, since Linux is the premier server and supercomputing OS and scales much better with real cores.

I'm sure that Microsoft will do the same thing that they did with 64 bit: stall it long enough for Intel to catch up.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Oh yeah, and they put all 8 processors on one board? where'd they get the board from? Max I heard of was 4 Processors on a Board.[/citation]
Seriously that is a joke right? you have honestly never heard of boards with more than 4 processors? I guess it would blow your mind that I am working with 2 machines with 16 processors and windows running?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
For a high end workstation, I am not sure of a board that will take more than four CPU's...... 4 CPS's @ 8 cores each is 32 CPU's. So I want to know where 160 CPU's comes from also? Servers can have that many cores, and that many mb's of RAM would be nice too.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I never use the task manager built into windows. I've always used Sysinternals Process explorer. Personally I hope they continue to improve the process explorer since it is so much better than the task manager.

G

ms go patent it!!

they dont need to, why? because nobody will steal it from them. think Apple will risk it considering that Microsoft could pull office support or bootcamp?

randomizer

Champion
Clearly someone in a high management position in Microsoft recently discovered heat maps and thought they're cool. They're starting to pop up all over Windows 8. It's not a bad idea, but it does mean you lose the recent core usage history that a line graph provides. If clicking on an individual cell in the heat map replaced the overall usage line graph at the top left with one for that particular logical core it would resolve this problem.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Nope. That's a windows 7 screen shot for sure unless MS done an update that my computer hasn't revived. Here what i have of windows 8 and there no option that you can switch back to the original task manager look.http://s760.photobucket.com/albums [...] 20preview/[/citation]

The first screenshot is from Windows7, the second is from Windows8. Chances are, the developer preview is not going to get updated to match the internal alphas that MS has.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Who has 160 cores?I only have 4 cores, and the most that I have seen are 6 and 8 cores.So... again: who has 160 cores?[/citation]

HPC systems....Servers.....

G

You can easily get 32 cores in windows if you use a hypervisor like VMWare's vSphere or Microsoft's Hyper-V.

How you get 160 cores, well that will probably be some trickery by the testers at Microsoft to simulate the maximum number of cores that the OS can support.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
This is probably interesting more for developers. If they have more tools to control how the OS handles the workload for their software they can probably really push the needle now. Hopefully MS has put a lot of time into making it easier for developers to write multicore software. Our machines are capable of doing so much than they are doing now owing to the difficulty of writing software in the current environment.

Now watch Apple steal MS long worked out ideas, slap their logo and some catchy name on it, and claim it was the last thing steve jobs thought of before he died.

funguseater

Distinguished
Why is this an article about Task Manager again.

I was hoping to hear Windows 8 would handle bulldozer cores more effectively (or something), this is just regurgitated info.

G

When i read the title the first thing that comes to my mind was:
How Windows 8 Will Deal With Tons of CPU Cores...with a bulldozer?.

Must be cuz i drive a bulldozer and move literally tons of rocks and else.
(Not Amd brand related)

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Oh yeah, and they put all 8 processors on one board? where'd they get the board from? Max I heard of was 4 Processors on a Board.[/citation]
Here is a link for ya: http://www.techimo.com/forum/tech-news-discussion/146576-tyan-thunder-8-socket-mobo.html

While not exactly 160 cores this is an example of an older 8 socket system it consists of a tyan s4881 4 socket motherboard. And a tyan m4881 4 socket cpu expansion board. A more modern system with this design could hit 160 cores.

G

Simply id like the computer to boot up 1 sec. if i can do that. It would save me time waiting for the damn thing.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hellknight99[/nom]The first screenshot has Physical Memory (total) 1048565 MB = 1.00 TeraByte of RAM ![/citation]
yeah and usage is 43 GB!

[citation][nom]gravewax[/nom]Seriously that is a joke right? you have honestly never heard of boards with more than 4 processors? I guess it would blow your mind that I am working with 2 machines with 16 processors and windows running?[/citation]
Nope, I'd really, like to know what board with this generation of processors ( today, the xenons and the opterons) Do hold more than 4 Processors.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Nope, I'd really, like to know what board with this generation of processors ( today, the xenons and the opterons) Do hold more than 4 Processors.[/citation]
Does it really matter? A core count of this size is most likely a cluster of 2-4P systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.