How would gaming on a TV be?

Bugzilla3

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So I was looking at getting a 4k TV with Roku software built in for 4k Netflix streaming. How would gaming on a TV like this be?

Insignia 43"

Keep in mind the the only games I play are World of Warcraft (PvP 99% of the time such as arenas and BGs) and Hearthstone. I may play Overwatch when it's released.

I definitely don't need the fastest response time or the sharpest colors, just something that looks decent. I plan on using HDMI 2.0.

Current specs:
i5 2500k at 4.4GHz
Raedon 6850 (just bought a GTX 970 tonight)
16gb ddr3 1333
128gb ssd
500gb hhd 7200rpm
Msi p67a c43 motherboard
Antec 300 case
Thermaltake TR2 600w PSU

Solution

That's the recommended wattage assuming your PSU doesn't catch fire! I've had two TR2 850s die on me, one of them with a violent bang. The 970 is a very stressful card for any PSU due to high transients. Make sure to keep some cash on the side in case your system is unstable or the PSU really does explode. Not saying it will, the PSU lottery does have winners after all, just that the risk that it won't work or will only work for a short time is very high!
1) the 970 will not handle 4K
2) your games don't do well in 4K
3) overwatch will definitely need more than a 970 for 4k
4) If you're fine with reduced quality or reduced resolution (sending only 1080p signal), it will work just fine.

That PSU will cause trouble with the 970 though, if you hear coil whine, replace the PSU before it dies and takes something with it

Bugzilla3

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

1) For WoW it looks like all the reviews says a 970 does fine.
2) I'll play HS on 1080p if it doesn't work at 4k.
3) I don't mind reducing the setting qualities to play at a higher resolution.
4) I'm fine with reduced settings i.e. not "Ultra".

The PSU shouldn't cause any issues. The recommended wattage is 500w.

That's the recommended wattage assuming your PSU doesn't catch fire! I've had two TR2 850s die on me, one of them with a violent bang. The 970 is a very stressful card for any PSU due to high transients. Make sure to keep some cash on the side in case your system is unstable or the PSU really does explode. Not saying it will, the PSU lottery does have winners after all, just that the risk that it won't work or will only work for a short time is very high!

Solution