How Would You Design Your Case?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Would you design your own computer case if you could?

• Yes

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Whats a case?

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

ares1214

Splendid
Hows the cooling on the tempest? Almost bought it once. Same with the 690 II (if thats what you meant). And i doubt the material of the case makes a big difference, but if enthusiasts are willing to spend an extra $30 on a H70 over an H50 for maybe 3 C lower temps, then im sure whatever small difference it does make will be a nice added feature. And carbon fiber can be made to be radar absorbent, and who wouldnt pay an extra $50 for a radar absorbent case?! :lol:

JohnnyChrist

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Completely modular (Side panels at least).

I must've been on 'shrooms when I thought it up, but tiles for the side panel, each like 140mm x 140mm, so that you could mount 120mm fans on them with some rigidity. You could also have vents, or windows that take up several tiles, or just solid plates.

ares1214

Splendid
If there was a side fan at all, it would likely either be as big as possible, or a few 120s stragtecially placed. The bigger the fan, the wider the airflow, and its good to cover as much as possible. Ive generally seen in cases its good to have a lot of front, top and rear fans. Alternative to that, its good to have a side, bottom, and top fan. Ive done a lot of work into this, those 2 distinct ones have always done the best. Mixing them generally has created a lot of dead zones and stagnant air. Although its good to always have a front fan. Id say the best setup ive seen was actually on a custom built case. Similar to the 1200, it had 3 top and 2 rear fans. Although the rear fans were 2 120s side by side instead of on top. Then there were 3 fans at the top. The bottom was lined with 2 120mm fans, and there was 1 front one. It provided the best airflow ive seen, and yet didnt have a side fan like most cases. Thermodynamics give some explanation to this. The front 1 (might have been 2) fan (s) cooled the hdd and helped with the gpu. The top 3 could either be used as intake or exhaust, but they were exhaust. The back 2 were exhaust as well. Then the bottom 2 were intake. Cold air sinks, hot air rises, so that explains some of it. Very dusty without dust filters, but incredible cooling nonetheless.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I loved the tempest case, I modded it, and put a smoked glass side panel on it... it was very nice kept stuff cool, but it didn't match what this case I built does cooling wise.

@johnnyChrist man that is something I haven't done in years, lol.

ares1214

Splendid
The tempest evo is a great case. I actually wish that NZXT, instead of making the interesting phantom to say the least, re-remade the Tempest. Maybe make cable management a little better, make the case a little bigger, make the side fan a 200mm instead of the 120mm (kinda looked awkward if you ask me :lol: ) and just a few improvements. It really is a quite nice design from what ive seen. I just think it couldnt of hurt to remake it again, as im not terribly impressed with the Phatom.

ares1214

Splendid
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=304&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=3

Look at the few pictures in that. That is the thermaltake Speedos cable managment system. I actually think it is extremely intelligent. While i do also like corsairs approach, excessive as it may be, i think purposefully placed grommeted wholes (large one for PSU, maybe a box to hide them, 2 for HDD, 1 on the bottom, 2 for ODD, and maybe 1 large slot above the motherboard) maybe like 7 MAX, 5 or 4 is doable. But those little places to mount and hide them behind the mobo tray, is, in my opinion, a VERY good idea. It stops you from having to shove the side back on, it not fitting, or it just being an absolute mess back there. A generous space behind the motherboard is also important.