[SOLVED] How would you go about turning this PC into a low/mid range gaming pc?

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
I got picked up a small form factor PC at a yard sale for $5. I have never built a pc before but I know a little about it. If i wanted to upgrade this system by adding a GPU and more RAM, would a new case be enough or would you also recommend a new motherboard and PSU? I have about $200 to spend on this and just want modest framerate at 1080p.
This is the PC i bought:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883265735
From my limited knowledge it looks like a passable CPU but I'm not really sure.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
A "Micro ATX" motherboard will fit inside of an ATX case, but not the other way around; just keep this in mind when deciding form factor for your components. If you decide you want an ATX case, I would recommend the Corsair 200R. If you want the MicroATX, I would recommend the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300. However, I would recommend doing your own research on cases so you select what is perfect for you.
May 29, 2019
I don't know how up-gradable the system is, but you could install a good GPU for under $200 (the Radeon RX 580 8GB for example) and save up the extra money for some more RAM (most gaming systems have 8-16 GB in them).

Do be careful to make sure a new graphics card will fit the dimensions in the case, and that the PSU will support it. One of the biggest issues with upgrading a pre-built desktop lies in the fact that they were not meant to be upgraded. Just do your research before making any big purchases. Good luck!

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
I don't know how up-gradable the system is, but you could install a good GPU for under $200 (the Radeon RX 580 8GB for example) and save up the extra money for some more RAM (most gaming systems have 8-16 GB in them).

Do be careful to make sure a new graphics card will fit the dimensions in the case, and that the PSU will support it. One of the biggest issues with upgrading a pre-built desktop lies in the fact that they were not meant to be upgraded. Just do your research before making any big purchases. Good luck!
Thanks for your response! The case is way to small to fit anything in it, so any kind of upgrade would need a new case. Any recommendations on a bigger case that would fit the current system or better just to get a new mobo also?

May 29, 2019
If you are going to switch cases, you list is now: GPU, PSU, motherboard, CPU, and maybe some more RAM. That's just about a new PC right there. I would almost recommend just starting a new build.

If you still want to try and make this work, the Corsair 200R is a decent case. If you want to upgrade the motherboard, you will have to upgrade the CPU, and probably the RAM. If you are also wanting this PC to do gaming, you will need to install a new graphics card. Again, this is about an entire build. If you want to transfer over to another case, I would just try to save up some more money and just build your own system. Here is one that should be able to do what you want:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mnkk29

Good Luck!

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
If you are going to switch cases, you list is now: GPU, PSU, motherboard, CPU, and maybe some more RAM. That's just about a new PC right there. I would almost recommend just starting a new build.

If you still want to try and make this work, the Corsair 200R is a decent case. If you want to upgrade the motherboard, you will have to upgrade the CPU, and probably the RAM. If you are also wanting this PC to do gaming, you will need to install a new graphics card. Again, this is about an entire build. If you want to transfer over to another case, I would just try to save up some more money and just build your own system. Here is one that should be able to do what you want:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mnkk29

Good Luck!
So a new motherboard wouldn't work with my cpu?

May 29, 2019
The issue would be finding a motherboard that fits its LGA 1150 chipset; it is difficult to try and find a motherboard for a 5-7 year old processor. IF you were to replace the motherboard, it would likely be better to just buy a new processor as well.

Reactions: tom5577

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
The issue would be finding a motherboard that fits its LGA 1150 chipset; it is difficult to try and find a motherboard for a 5-7 year old processor. IF you were to replace the motherboard, it would likely be better to just buy a new processor as well.
Thanks so much for your help. One last question. What kind of case would I need, I read about micro atx for small form factor but I I'm not sure if that's what I need.

May 29, 2019
A "Micro ATX" motherboard will fit inside of an ATX case, but not the other way around; just keep this in mind when deciding form factor for your components. If you decide you want an ATX case, I would recommend the Corsair 200R. If you want the MicroATX, I would recommend the Cooler Master MasterBox Q300. However, I would recommend doing your own research on cases so you select what is perfect for you.

Reactions: tom5577
Solution

tom5577

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Thank you so much man. Do you have an ether address i can send you a tip on?