How You Can Log Into Windows 8 by Touching Pictures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several ways to log into a win8 computer. You can use the tried and true method of a password, a 4 number pin, or a picture you can poke and prod to your heart's content. I use the new picture password on my touch screen netbook and have found it to be both easy and surprisingly secure. My co-worksers are pranksters, but even having seen my unlock they have not been able to duplicate it (yet) accurately enough to get in. So far as I have seen pokes are rather forgiving about placement, so I would use those as at a minimum, if at all. Circles are very picky about size, but not so much about placement. But lines are crazy annoying to break as they are picky about placement, size and direction. Enough so that I can log in with my right hand with no problem, but logging in with my left is out of the question... and that is with me knowing what my password is.

Anywho, I suspect that most will log in with a typed password in the end. But at least you have now heard an opinion of someone that uses it rather than all the silly nay-sayers.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Can't wait to hear the epliot stories on this tech. It will nice clues as to how they rig elections[citation][nom]target3[/nom]I'm not 'upgrading' to Windows 8. Lol[/citation]
I second that.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]This does nothing for people like me, who would just walk out with the entire computer in the first place.[/citation]
You make a good point, the thief is not going to site there at a home computer (especially a laptop) and try an break into it.

G

Not that this will actually prevent password cracking. The gesture will still be stored as some sort of hash, which can be cracked, but it's even easier now because the algorithm must accomodate a lesser degree of accuracy than a normal text password which must be typed with infinite accuracy. Furthermore, what happens if you forget the password? It's now impossible to use a password hint.

It's good to see Microsoft attempting to lead in "flash over substance" rather than following Apple for once.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
So, I have a question. If I have a graphics tablet connected to my desktop, can I use that with the picture login? Don't have to worry as much about recognition of repeated gestures, and quite honestly this is all acadmic as far as security of a PC is concerned nowadays, but it would be an interesting feature. And for all the people spewing hate-filed rants and snide remarks, please remember that first this is an option, not a requirement, and second that nothing is gained through stagnation. Even if it sems like a stupid idea, innovation will lead to something more. You will only gain so much security from any login option considering most PC info thieves are bound to either take the whole thing or hack in anyway, but if the gesture recognition is percise enough it can prove to be much more difficult to figure out than a password or 4-digit pin.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Great maybe one of my chickens can be trained to use Win8 lol. Being in the networking and security field this is a huge risk and isn't worth it. Even if it is tablets they still can hold sensitive data that can be stolen and used such as company records or personal info like SSN or credit card #.[/citation]

Is it just me, or are IT people the most out of the loop and technologically inept people ever?

boby1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2002
[citation][nom]truedelight[/nom]innovate! find a way for windows to stop crashing, get rid of BSoD once and for all; don't find another 100 ways for us to sign in...morons!!![/citation]

It crashes because you don't know how to install it and to work with it. OR you have a hardware problem. OR both.

raedwulf

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]How about i get mad after anyone tries to use their dirty fingers on my 27" screen before i need to play BF3.[/citation]

Like and more like. Awesome 27" screen is awesome, dirty fingers are not.

[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]the most secure way to have a password on a touchscreen device is to have a virtual keypad/keyboard where all of the keys are randomly arranged each time you log on, otherwise the areas where the keys used in the password are will stand out due to smudging.[/citation]

That's what a U.S. Department of Defense web site uses.

pbornemeier

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
In addition to the touch method above, I would like to be able to move my cursor to a "touch" point then press the shift key instead of touching (and oiling up) my monitor.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]synd[/nom]You guys sure take changes really, really bad. This isn't a bad thing, you can always use a password or picture pw. It's better to have the option to choose between 2 things than being forced to use only 1.[/citation]They act like they want Microsoft to bring back Windows XP* and ignore this whole "mobile device fad". But if MS did this, then they'd just bitch about MS being behind the times. MS can't win. They'll whinge no matter what!

* Of course they completely forget the WinXP launch, and how WinXP was weak sauce before any Service Packs rolled out. So I guess they really want WinXP SP4 - maybe they could call it Windows XP.11 - Windows XP for Workgroups!
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Why are people having a whinge about this though? It's not like Microsoft are forcing you to use it[/citation]No! Even though they're not forcing me to use it, and it won't affect me at all, I refuse to allow it! I will whinge and piss myself! - Random Troll

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
What if the picture login is the only one you've setup and you accidentally delete THAT picture? Maybe it forces you to create an alternate login method in the initial setup.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
dna gene sequences. Only secure login, my take like 5 days but damn if anyone will be able to crack that, unless that kill you... but really who wants your gaming rig that bad?

G

Makes me wonder if they'll incorporate log-in with Kinect, where you have to physically gesture your login.

The future looks to be very amusing.

rakeshsachdev2003

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
The algorithms for unlocking or breaking passwords are to predict passwords and break into machines. Now,Here picture taping sequence and gestures can be predicted with permutation and combinations.But,advantages are no need of cam like face recognition or no need of fingure tips detector on machine.Its good alternative to regular password.

Wow, very neat. People can use pictures that are relevant to them and just draw a pattern as they see fit, instead of remembering some random combination of numbers and digits. Hopefully this reduces the usage of passwords like 1234.

Status
Not open for further replies.