How's my build?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
This is an upgrade so this is the only things I need.

I'm annoyed because it is so hard to get a hold of a GTX 970 for under £280 as they are always out of stock :(

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2RqbVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2RqbVn/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£99.98 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.67 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£69.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: SHARKOON T9 Value MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£50.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Zalman 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£52.91 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £631.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-11 00:33 BST+0100

Solution

Since the warranty only covers your PSU, I wouldn't take that as a sign of comfort. What good is a 5 year warranty if it fries your components? Sure, you might get a new PSU out of the deal, but who knows what else you might lose? Your new GPU, or your whole MoBo? It's like buying a power strip from Walmart with a "lifetime warranty," and you assume it's going to protect your equipment with it's "surge protection"... and it only costs $10. A bit of an extreme comparison (and it's American lol), but I'm only...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Already gone through all this but I appreciate your help. The zotac is one of the ugliest cards I have ever seen and I can't afford that ram (i was going to get it for weeks) as it has gone out of stock and delivery is too high.

anti-duck

Honorable
I wouldn't even call Zotac a reputable brand when it comes to GPU's personally; they remind me of OCZ which did some things right and then completely failed in other areas (PSU's) and that is one ugly card! :p Glad someone likes my RAM though :p that is the exact kit I got :D

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Yeah I like the look of it, I would of preferred ripjaws though as it matches my colour scheme.