[SOLVED] How's the firepro w5000 for 1080p low gaming?

Jul 9, 2020
So i got the Firepro w5000. What are your reviews on it?

I was gonna go for a rx 470 but due to some unforeseen circumstances i had to reduce my budget to almost half of what it was before. But i'll be upgrading to a 470 or 570 in about a month so just needed an OKAY gpu to get by until then. I was gonna go for a 750 ti but couldn't find it anywhere for a good deal so had to settle with this. Is it really worse than the 750 ti? Also, how does it compare to the 5900V 3gb? i was getting that but it was too big for my pc bcz of that useless thing in the front which can be cut but it would ruin the physical condition and i don't want that since i'll be selling it a month later. Couldn't find any detailed benchmarks anywhere so hoping some of you might've used it in the past. If so, do comment your review on it. Thanks.

Ps. Prices for pc hardware are really high nowadays in my country or else i could've gotten a 560 easily in this price lol

Solution

I was gonna go for a rx 470 but due to some unforeseen circumstances i had to reduce my budget to almost half of what it was before. But i'll be upgrading to a 470 or 570 in about a month so just needed an OKAY gpu to get by until then. I was gonna go for a 750 ti but couldn't find it anywhere for a good deal so had to settle with this. Is it really worse than the 750 ti? Also, how does it compare to the 5900V 3gb? i was getting that but it was too big for my pc bcz of that useless thing in the front which can be cut but it would ruin the physical condition and i don't want that since i'll be selling it a month later. Couldn't find any detailed benchmarks anywhere so hoping...

I was gonna go for a rx 470 but due to some unforeseen circumstances i had to reduce my budget to almost half of what it was before. But i'll be upgrading to a 470 or 570 in about a month so just needed an OKAY gpu to get by until then. I was gonna go for a 750 ti but couldn't find it anywhere for a good deal so had to settle with this. Is it really worse than the 750 ti? Also, how does it compare to the 5900V 3gb? i was getting that but it was too big for my pc bcz of that useless thing in the front which can be cut but it would ruin the physical condition and i don't want that since i'll be selling it a month later. Couldn't find any detailed benchmarks anywhere so hoping some of you might've used it in the past. If so, do comment your review on it. Thanks.

Ps. Prices for pc hardware are really high nowadays in my country or else i could've gotten a 560 easily in this price lol

I have a W5000 which I used for a long time in my cad machine - I tested it in a couple of benchmarks out of interest. It's not the fastest gaming gpu, but it can handle a few games ok.

It's rather a strange setup - it has a massive memory bandwidth (a full 256 bit GDDR5 setup) but very few shaders (it's based on the Pitcarin core of the HD 7870 which has 1280 shader cores, but the W5000 only 768 enabled which is the same as the lower tier HD 7770). That means it can run very well in games with high memory load but will be slower in titles that require more shaders.

In terms of how good it is as gaming? I guess that depends very much on what type of games and setting you want to run? Lighter stuff should run fine (the fact it is based on GCN 1.0 helps as it should have reasonable driver support for most titles). It's probably going to struggle with the latest AAA games though, it will probably run them at lower resolutions (e.g. 720p).

Solution
Jul 9, 2020
I have a W5000 which I used for a long time in my cad machine - I tested it in a couple of benchmarks out of interest. It's not the fastest gaming gpu, but it can handle a few games ok.

It's rather a strange setup - it has a massive memory bandwidth (a full 256 bit GDDR5 setup) but very few shaders (it's based on the Pitcarin core of the HD 7870 which has 1280 shader cores, but the W5000 only 768 enabled which is the same as the lower tier HD 7770). That means it can run very well in games with high memory load but will be slower in titles that require more shaders.

In terms of how good it is as gaming? I guess that depends very much on what type of games and setting you want to run? Lighter stuff should run fine (the fact it is based on GCN 1.0 helps as it should have reasonable driver support for most titles). It's probably going to struggle with the latest AAA games though, it will probably run them at lower resolutions (e.g. 720p).
Well i tried GTA 5 on it and it's better than my expectations at least. Getting 50 avg fps on v.high(msaa off) settings easily. Just the kind of gpu i hoped for it to be in the cheap price i got it.

Reactions: cdrkf