[SOLVED] HP 255 G7 heavily overheating cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Hello yall, my mothers friend from work brought me what must be 10th laptop to repair and refresh and this one gives me real heat. It's her daughters laptop, for work and studies, pretty fresh compared to antiques from before as it's from second half of 2020. Her complain was it overheats even with most basic stuff like watching yt in the browser.

I took it apart without even turning it on and as I expected heatsink grill and fan were both clugged by large balls of dust. Took'em out, blowed all the dirt away, cleaned heatsink and chip with isopropyl and laid honeywell ptm 7950. Unfortunately against my expectations when I booted laptop afterwards the cpu/gpu temps are at almost contant stiff 89-90 C.
I redid the everything using thermal grizzly kryonaut thinking maybe the honeywell pad went bad or I did it improperly but the result is the same.

Strange thing I noticed is that half of the heatsink that's closer to fan is cool but other half closer to chip is burning hot. Fan is working constantly on max but the heat doesn't seem to be spreading and dissipating via heatsink like it should.

Anyone had issue like that? I ordered another, used heatsink hoping maybe some microcrack happened somewhere on the current one and hence the heat spreading issue. Otherwise I just cannot understand why this is happening, nor why the owner used it for 2 or so years without problems. Entire thing looks really half as$d, poor and flawed to me (way too thin, not wide enough, aluminum grill instead of copper etc.) but it should have caused overheating symptoms from the start if that was the only problem ...

Update

I just received the replacement, used cooling (heatsink + fan) I mentioned before , annoyingly seller did not mention that laptop it came from was probably flooded with soda or smthing because grill was full of thick, sweet molasses like stuff. Made me waste more time cleaning it.
However upon replacing (just heasink since fan worked fine) problem was solved, iddle temp around 50 C.
Guess my blind shot was right, original heatsink was damaged somehow. New one spreads heat like it should.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.