HP 2920 switch Dual personality ports

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hi guys,

So we have installed a HP switch (J9727A - 2920-24G) with dual personality ports 21-24
we now cant reach the switch from home, and am wondering we may have put a rj-45 and a mini-gbic in the same port...

is there anyone that nows the prioritization on the dual personality ports?
like, if both are plugged does only the rj-45 port work? or does none of them work, or is it a matter of which one was plugged in first?

i really would appreciate any help here.
Thanks in advanced.

Birne

Solution
You would only lose contact with the switch if your connection went through one of those ports.

I wish I could tell you how this works but HP has been extremely inconsistent over the years. In most cases it will prefer the optical connection over the ethernet even if both are plugged in. Some of them you can change which is used via software setting...but I forget which switches they had that did that.

Unfortunately this is try to find the correct manual...always a challenge with hp and all their part numbers...and see what that device does.
You would only lose contact with the switch if your connection went through one of those ports.

I wish I could tell you how this works but HP has been extremely inconsistent over the years. In most cases it will prefer the optical connection over the ethernet even if both are plugged in. Some of them you can change which is used via software setting...but I forget which switches they had that did that.

Unfortunately this is try to find the correct manual...always a challenge with hp and all their part numbers...and see what that device does.

Solution

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I can now confirm that the Fiberports have priority.
it doesnt matter wich one you plug in first, the rj-45 or the mini-gbic,
as soon as it detects a module in the SFP port it turns off the rj-45. plugging a module in is enough, there dosn't have to be link or even a cable connected.