Question HP 441823-001 Smart Array SAS RAID PCI-E 256MB Controller Card LSI 62098B2 – Z

Apr 16, 2024
[Moderator note: Moving post from Motherboards to Storage. More applicable category.]

hi guys, bought a sas drive and the above card, which ive installed and the card installed great, what leads do i need to attach the above card to possible 2 sas drives, im ok with just 1, but if i could have 2 that would be great, ive checked the sas drive is working as its powering up, b ut im baffled as to what lead i need to connect to the pci board above, the sas drive is (images attached
back.png
side.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure (full disclosure) that I understand the environment and the requirements.

Do you really need RAID?

For the most part RAID is only for specific environments and accompanying requirements.

No need for the controller at all.

You should be able to use the install the drive directly into a PC or via a drive enclosure.

More information needed.

Apr 16, 2024
I ordered leads to connect to sata port, both ends of lease fitted, the drive powered up, but nothing happened when I looked online I was told I needed a sas pci card, which I bought and fitted the card booted when I booted my pc fine, but when I asked the provider which leads I needed, he said that the card I bout was for differant purpose and I needed an external sas unit? But I read all I needed was a sas pci card ???

Apr 16, 2024
It's not it's a sas connector, ive got the leads to fit it, with sata connector on other end with a power lead, but apparently you can't just plug a sas drive into a sata port, so ibought a pci card/raid as advised, but don't know what leads to buy, even the seller sais I need a sas backplate,but still dosnt advise what leads I need to connect sas drive

Apr 16, 2024
This is the controller card I bought, which I fitted and it booted fine and powers up, but the seller saias I need something else, but he's labeled it as a sas controller, but now sais I need something else like a backplate, for sas drive, but doesn't explain what, I stumbled now as he's not making sense.
LSI Logic 62098B2 256MB PCI-E Smart Array SAS Raid Controller Card Inc VAT

Apr 16, 2024
Hi, thanks for that, is that a sas connector on the end of red cable or sata, you don't happen to know what those cables are called do you ??

Apr 19, 2024
Hello again.
Those cables are all for SAS HDD's.
They don't have a name, they are just SAS cables for this adapter. No serial number, no letters , nothing.
The point is that you own a SAS HDD. At least you posted a picture of a SAS HDD made by Seagate for IBM.
Based on that you need a SAS cable for it to work. Or i saw on Ebay and Aliexpress some adapters.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024
Keep in mind that if you have a SAS Hdd, then you need at least an adapter in order to make it work on a normal SATA connector from motherboard. I understand that you have the SAS adapter w/o cables. That can be frustrating to search those cables, but don't worry. If you don't find the cables ( i searched also to try to find some but w/o luck) you have the secondary solution to use an adapter for each SAS Hdd you have and to mount them on a regular SATA connector from your computer.