[SOLVED] Hp 690-0084 suggestions for memory or other upgrades

Oct 13, 2019
Hello. I recently purchased an Hp 690-0084 (specs below) I'm looking for suggestions for upgrading to 16GB of ram. So either replacing the 8GB memory that was included, or adding another 8GB to it. I'm open to other upgrades or improvements as well. I do light gaming, LOL, WOW, Overwatch, and a little bit over video editing. I haven't deal with PC hardware in forever, so I was hoping the community could save me hours/days of research. Would a dedicated sound card bring any noticeable improvement? I only thought about it because currently I'm running a 5.1 audio system. I'm having to use the Mic and Input jacks to make this work. Haven't had a chance to see if my USB mic still works correctly. This computer looks fairly limited on upgrades (proprietary MB and PS i think?), and I typically wouldn't buy a pre-built, but the price was great (I think) and I was helping out a neighbor who's being deployed. All in I have $450 for the computer, an LG 29UM69G Monitor, and low end Corsair gaming keyboard and mouse. It's about 4 months old and has less than 100 hours of use. I can keep, or sell it to another neighbor who wants every thing for $500 hahah. If it'll last me 3 or 4 years, I'd be happy.
Thanks!

The Lincs motherboard: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05991291
The computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06267861?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Hardware
Product Number
5QA71AA​
Product Name
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0084​
Motherboard
Lincs​
Motherboard Specifications Link
Memory
8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)​
Memory & Storage
8 GB memory; 1 TB HDD storage; 128 GB SSD storage​
Internal Storage
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA​
Hard drive (2nd)
128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD​
Processor Type
Intel Core i5​
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5-8400 (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 9 MB cache, 6 cores)​
Processor Family
8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor​
Processor Speed
2.8 GHz​
Graphics
Integrated​
Graphics Card
Intel® UHD Graphics 630​
Graphics
Discrete​
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (3 GB GDDR5 dedicated)​
Ports
1 USB 3.1 Type-C™; 2 USB 3.1; 1 headphone/microphone combo​
Expansion Slots
1 PCIe x16; 1 PCIe x1; 2 M.2​
Network Interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN​
Wireless
802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo​
Optical Drive
DVD-Writer​
Memory Card Device
3-in-1 memory card reader​
Dimensions
17 x 27.7 x 33.8 cm​
Weight
5.15 kg​
Power Supply Type
400 W Platinum efficiency power supply​
Keyboard
HP USB Wired Black Keyboard with volume control​
Input Devices-Mouse
HP Wired Black Mouse​

Oct 13, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion. I found what l think is the same ram that's installed. Amazon has it for $38. It's not exactly the same though. Mine is 8gb 2Rx8 pc4 2666 UB1 -11, The one on amazon is similar: 8GB 1Rx8 pc4 2666 UA2 - 11. I think the 1Rx8 and 2Rx8 refer to the ram on one side, or both sides of the chip? What about the UA2 and UB1. What are those? Would these two work ok with each other?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
OEM's can be funny with RAM compatibility.

1R represents one Rank and the RAM is on one side.
2R is two Ranks with the RAM being on both sides.

OEM's tend to limit the number of ranks you can use to 6 or 8 depending on the chipset.

So 16G could be like this
2R+2R "Optimal"
2R+1R
1R+1R+1R+1R

You can mix 1RX8 and 2RX8 as long as the voltages are the same but generallly you should avoid that if possible.

As far as UB1 "Pairs" or UA2 "Pairs or Single" those are not important, they refer to how they are sold and who possibly made them. OEM RAM can be supplied by just about anyone.

Oct 13, 2019
OEM's can be funny with RAM compatibility.

1R represents one Rank and the RAM is on one side.
2R is two Ranks with the RAM being on both sides.

OEM's tend to limit the number of ranks you can use to 6 or 8 depending on the chipset.

So 16G could be like this
2R+2R "Optimal"
2R+1R
1R+1R+1R+1R

You can mix 1RX8 and 2RX8 as long as the voltages are the same but generallly you should avoid that if possible.

As far as UB1 "Pairs" or UA2 "Pairs or Single" those are not important, they refer to how they are sold and who possibly made them. OEM RAM can be supplied by just about anyone.

Thank you for responding. I've tried to do some research, seems Hp's MB Lincs is fairly picky with memory used. I haven't been able to locate another identical memory stick (2Rx8). So I can either buy another similar one (1Rx8) or just order a set of matching Ram and try to sell the one I have. I dont know how to go about finding what ram is compatible. I've only seen Crucial ram that's guaranteed compatible. Most the other manufacturers don't have the MB listed on their site. If there's a much better 16Gb option for around $80, I'd be interested.

Oct 13, 2019
Yep, OEM memory selection is rather limited since Bios file sizes are something like half what you find on a normal motherboard.

Branded OEM RAM with a heat spreader.

Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 UDIMM $70

Basically anything here.

Perfect, that's exactly what i was looking for. I'm so special, I looked at the Crucial ram page multiple times and somehow missed the "VIEW MORE" between the Memory and SSD's. You'd think they'd make it bigger, it's pretty small on a phone screen . -__- Thanks again.