Question HP 8300 starts on its own, random shutdowns, refuses to start even after PSU replacement ?

seafiant

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Hi all,

I've had a problem for just over a month now and really could use some second opinions on it. I've had a refurbished HP 8300 for almost 18 months. Added a graphics card to it, no problem at all. Recently however it started to randomly shut down. It would show in windows the 'Shutting Down' notice screen before instantly turning off.

Here's the strange bit. If left alone for ages it'll start up after I press the power button. But after a recent failure shen I turn on the power at the wall the machine tries to start itself (without pressing the power button) for a few seconds then fails. The power light remains lit after.

If I leave it for a long time (days) sometimes it'll work for a while up to a few hours before failing. Most of the time though it's I press the on button and it starts for a few seconds before failing. I just purchased a new identical PSU as a likely cause and it worked for around an hour so I thought it was the old PSU (I assume because the machine was given up on weeks ago it worked) and now fails exactly the same as before. It's not temperature related and I took apart the case and removed all dust anyway during it's abandoned period.

I've also tried removing the GPU and disconnecting all extra HDD drives/CD drive just to get past the refusal to start when I want it to. Taking out and putting back in all memory sticks, reinserting the battery and pressing the CMOS button. So its not any way an issue with the PSU being spread too thin with the 1030 GPU and second HDD that have both been in for more than a year.

At the moment I'm thinking it's either somehow the machine isn't getting enough power from my house now (I've tried starting it in every plug in the place now) or it's some kind of motherboard issue.

Any thoughts/ideas welcome. Is this a common defect with HP 8300 SFFs?

pctech2005

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
It could be that the power button or reset button is going bad, you could try disconnecting them from the motherboard and then boot to see if that clears the issue. If it does you could probably contact HP to get a new front panel board/switch.

Reactions: seafiant

seafiant

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
It could be that the power button or reset button is going bad, you could try disconnecting them from the motherboard and then boot to see if that clears the issue. If it does you could probably contact HP to get a new front panel board/switch.

You were spot on :) Sorry I didn't update this post sooner, I gave constant status updates on the Linus forum and forgot to update this one. Short version is I replaced the PSU, then the motherboard but before deciding to spend money on a tester low budget CPU I purchased a new front I/O as a random fluke idea. Turns out it worked! It's been almost a week now and zero faults of any kind. There's no visible damage on the old cable so I've no idea what caused the problem and the case wasn't opened pre-fault for a long time.

Many thanks for replying, hopefully anyone who finds this via Google in the future will consider replacing the power button before more expensive items. - At least I've got a spare PSU, motherboard and CPU paste now!