HP All In One Motherboard

lengels

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
The motherboard died on my 2 year old HP 23" All-In-One. What is this going to cost me to have replaced?

Solution
I won't lie to you.. OEM parts like from HP costs more than the stuff you see on the shelf in stores... so expect a markup. It seems weird that the motherboard died on you. Are you sure it's the motherboard and not something else? If there isn't any power going to the computer... then it could be the PSU or something as simple as a loose cable.

Replacing it yourself will present you with a couple of huge problems. First, OEM computers have to have their motherboards replaced with other OEM motherboards since Windows is tied to the motherboard... otherwise you would have to buy another copy of Windows. Another problem is... using an aftermarket motherboard is difficult in OEM computer cases and probably won't fit properly. That...

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I won't lie to you.. OEM parts like from HP costs more than the stuff you see on the shelf in stores... so expect a markup. It seems weird that the motherboard died on you. Are you sure it's the motherboard and not something else? If there isn't any power going to the computer... then it could be the PSU or something as simple as a loose cable.

Replacing it yourself will present you with a couple of huge problems. First, OEM computers have to have their motherboards replaced with other OEM motherboards since Windows is tied to the motherboard... otherwise you would have to buy another copy of Windows. Another problem is... using an aftermarket motherboard is difficult in OEM computer cases and probably won't fit properly. That is especially true with all-in-one computers.

Since you no longer have a warranty... if you called HP, they could have a tech come to your home and replace the board.. but the costs of parts and labor OEMs charge customers out of warranty probably isn't worth it. I would recommend instead that you check out Craigslist and find someone selling the same exact computer you have. I'm almost certain you will find a complete model for much cheaper than the cost of repairing your computer. I used to have a spare all-in-one computer that I was going to give to some kids I knew so they could use it as a cheap gaming computer. The problem was it didn't have a DVD drive, only a CD.. I went online to check out prices for a slim-DVD that I could install into that computer and swap out the older CD but the prices all the stores charged for that DVD model made for that computer was more than what I could have paid had I bought the same system used that came with a DVD..

Solution