HP announces new Chromebook 14, G4 Version Allows Virtual Desktop And App Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'd say its funny to be releasing a 768p 14" notebook in 2015, but its not. Its just sad. And this isn't even Windows with program scaling breaking like bad gas on anything with a higher pixel density than something from the Atari age.

There are way too many competitive 1080p Chromebooks in the $200-300 price range today that anyone should even consider this thing.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
14-inch HD (1366 x 768)

Can we get some more info, Tom's? This isn't The Verge or some other "tech for dummies" site (at least I hope it still isn't), you guys gotta at least let us know the panel type and whether it's glossy or matte.

Anyhow, HP can't even get their business laptops right, not speaking about consumer ones... and this Chromebook stuff... just give up. Asus has their new Transformer T100HA selling for $300 and it's got full Windows 8.1 onboard with better specs and a nice 400 nit IPS HD panel. Go beat that.

Those who purchase the new device also gain access to 100 GB of Google Drive storage for two years, 12 free Gogo in-air passes to keep customers connected during flights, three free Google Play movie rentals, and 90 days of free Google Play music.

I wish one could opt to buy the thing without all these offers but at like $50-100 less. Then it'd be actually competitive. But of course they can't do that, because Chromebooks, just like Amazon's Fire lineup, are there to get people hooked to subscription services, not provide real value for money.

You can buy a toshiba chromebook 1 used for $100 and it's the same thing as this.

Have you ever seen a used Chromebook? I have. These devices don't exactly age well. Especially the cheap models. Doubt someone would want to pay even $100 for a second-hand one.

There are way too many competitive 1080p Chromebooks in the $200-300 price range today that anyone should even consider this thing.

Resolution isn't everything. While I love high-resolution screens, I admit that I'd rather work on a 768p IPS panel with decent colors and contrast than a piss-poor 1080p TN. Bonus points if the lower-res screen is matte.

Status
Not open for further replies.