News HP bricks ProBook laptops with bad BIOS — many users face black screen after Windows includes firmware in automatic updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Frenser

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 29, 2020
I am glad again we have thrown them out years ago.

We use Lenovo and Brother for the most obvious uses,

HP is out, permanently and for all purposes.

check this article from Neowin

HP staff allegedly blames Microsoft's Windows Update as firmware bricks ProBooks

either way, it's a bad look for both HP and Microsoft as the former is blaming the latter for the bricked HP Probook laptop bios problem

another good reason to find ways to disable auto-updates on Windows 10/11 as MS sometimes can dish out buggy updates
its bad look for just HP, the way how it gets flashed its up to mainford manufacturer, ie windows update just stores it on drive, it reboots to uefi preboot environent (outside of windows, clean uefi enviroment aka bios and there it gets flashed) windows can provide bios updates, but its up to mainboard how that gets done

CmdrShepard

Prominent
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
I don't know what part of plain English saying "I didn't pick that title" didn't compute to you the first time, but I'm not gonna say it again.
Since the title stuck with claiming something not supported by evidence and with something you claim you disagree with it seems to me you haven't even objected to it.
As for the rest. I did my due diligence, as far as I'm concerned. I really don't care if you agree.
Not really, no.
Start paying me if you want to make demands, or shut up.
And here I thought you are pulling a salary from TH to publish factual information for the readers. Little did I know you can publish half-truths and demand ransom from each individual reader for the rest of it.

Only demand I have is that information published is factual and accurate. Asking me to pay you after you failed to do that and demanding that I shut up otherwise is even more unethical than publishing half-truths and frankly I am not surpised at all given who runs the outlet.

Reactions: TechyIT223
Nov 3, 2023
Since the title stuck with claiming something not supported by evidence and with something you claim you disagree with it seems to me you haven't even objected to it.

Not really, no.

And here I thought you are pulling a salary from TH to publish factual information for the readers. Little did I know you can publish half-truths and demand ransom from each individual reader for the rest of it.

Only demand I have is that information published is factual and accurate. Asking me to pay you after you failed to do that and demanding that I shut up otherwise is even more unethical than publishing half-truths and frankly I am not surpised at all given who runs the outlet.

My title is "freelancer", not "salaried employee", my guy. It's also "writer", not "insufferable child babysitter". Cope and seethe, then grow up and find someone else to be entitled at. It's also not me demanding "ransom", it's me telling you you're being unreasonable and entitled, and I have no reason to deal with either of those things when I'm not being paid. In fact I don't let people who pay me treat me unreasonably, either. It's called respecting myself and other human beings, and it's something you should consider trying instead of yelling at me over truly incidental details that Do Not Matter.

I did my job. The story is reported. HP had to update us about it. Grow. Up. Move. On.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
My title is "freelancer", not "salaried employee", my guy. It's also "writer", not "insufferable child babysitter".
My apologies for assuming that you had any journalistic integrity to begin with. Apparently you don't since you are just writing what you are told to write and never question anything just like coders do compared to software engineers.

Reactions: TechyIT223
Status
Not open for further replies.