HP Bringing Back Windows 7 'By Popular Demand'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008

Win8 doesn't look like Win7... it also has the butt-ugly flat UI. And it still wants to go into metro mode.

You know, its always quite stupid for people like you to say "lazy / can't learn something new" - when many of us use: Windows, Android and iOS everyday. My wife, a computer novice, does fine with LinuxMint on her notebook. The UI of Windows 8 is crap, pure ugly and idiotic crap... it serves no purpose other than being "different". Far easier to read everything in a menu than a whole bloody screen.

Shutdown and Startup is faster? That is because its a hyrbid sleep mode. My Win7 wakes up in 1-2 seconds... wow. No slower than if a Win8 PC woke up. Our notebook with LinuxMint boots up and shuts down as fast as Win8 (or my SSD Win7 desktop) and its not using a hybrid system... it kick's Windows' ass.

Why should ANYONE go out of their way to fix a defective product, that is Windows 8. In Dec. Win7 gained market share, Win8 didn't go anywhere.

The PROs for Win8 don't out-weight the cons. Lets see: UP arrow in Explorer (like in XP hmmm), yet, its nice... but been living without it for years... and there is an Explorer replacement that has the UP button and even has TABs that it'll retain after a reboot. Its called "better explorer", still beta with a few kinks in it... but generally good and more functional than Win8's.

"Copy / move Window" yes, its very slick in Win8. And performance in this area has improved (not to the level of XP)... But I use Terracopy, Its free... and it smokes Windows 8's file-move window. For example, if there is problems with some of the files - it won't lock up. Nothing like copying thousands of files at several GB and when you come back 10 min later, the system is bitching about a duplicate or a file-name problem. ARGH! With terra-copy, it'll flag those files that didn't make it, while the rest are moved. Then you can select what to do with the problem files. Nothing like having to completely restart or track down those bad bad files.... especially when it happens several times.

Shutdown/start up = who cares? I rarely ever SHUT-DOWN my Win7 PCs... they go to sleep. Linux blows them both away.

Metro? Even most of the Windows8 lovers simply block that garbage as much as possible... you see their posts "its not that bad" or "It only took me 5 minutes to adjust settings and download add-ons"

When I did my last i5-upgrade, I bought a new shiny $150 Windows 7 Pro... even tho I could have gotten Win8Pro for $50(?) during their promotion period. Windows 8 could be FREE and people still DON'T want it. Might as well USE LINUX.

Now, when it comes to real computer novices and idiots - they can barely use a computer. Moving or changing anything, however minor will throw them off. The general population DOES NOT LIKE Windows nor computers in general. hence, they are buying tablets in droves.
So that is the thing... if you want the typical idiot to love the Desktop, its NOT going to happen. So Windows8 only pissed off the power users... or work force which needs something that works like a computer, not a tablet.

lukemcd

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
You know, its always quite stupid for people like you to say "lazy / can't learn something new" - when many of us use: Windows, Android and iOS everyday. My wife, a computer novice, does fine with LinuxMint on her notebook. The UI of Windows 8 is crap, pure ugly and idiotic crap... it serves no purpose other than being "different". Far easier to read everything in a menu than a whole bloody screen.Shutdown and Startup is faster? That is because its a hyrbid sleep mode. My Win7 wakes up in 1-2 seconds... wow. No slower than if a Win8 PC woke up. Our notebook with LinuxMint boots up and shuts down as fast as Win8 (or my SSD Win7 desktop) and its not using a hybrid system... it kick's Windows' ass.Why should ANYONE go out of their way to fix a defective product, that is Windows 8. In Dec. Win7 gained market share, Win8 didn't go anywhere.The PROs for Win8 don't out-weight the cons. Lets see: UP arrow in Explorer (like in XP hmmm), yet, its nice... but been living without it for years... and there is an Explorer replacement that has the UP button and even has TABs that it'll retain after a reboot. Its called "better explorer", still beta with a few kinks in it... but generally good and more functional than Win8's."Copy / move Window" yes, its very slick in Win8. And performance in this area has improved (not to the level of XP)... But I use Terracopy, Its free... and it smokes Windows 8's file-move window. For example, if there is problems with some of the files - it won't lock up. Nothing like copying thousands of files at several GB and when you come back 10 min later, the system is bitching about a duplicate or a file-name problem. ARGH! With terra-copy, it'll flag those files that didn't make it, while the rest are moved. Then you can select what to do with the problem files. Nothing like having to completely restart or track down those bad bad files.... especially when it happens several times.Shutdown/start up = who cares? I rarely ever SHUT-DOWN my Win7 PCs... they go to sleep. Linux blows them both away.Metro? Even most of the Windows8 lovers simply block that garbage as much as possible... you see their posts "its not that bad" or "It only took me 5 minutes to adjust settings and download add-ons"When I did my last i5-upgrade, I bought a new shiny $150 Windows 7 Pro... even tho I could have gotten Win8Pro for $50(?) during their promotion period. Windows 8 could be FREE and people still DON'T want it. Might as well USE LINUX.Now, when it comes to real computer novices and idiots - they can barely use a computer. Moving or changing anything, however minor will throw them off. The general population DOES NOT LIKE Windows nor computers in general. hence, they are buying tablets in droves.So that is the thing... if you want the typical idiot to love the Desktop, its NOT going to happen. So Windows8 only pissed off the power users... or work force which needs something that works like a computer, not a tablet.[/quote]I don't understand how the "benefits" of the start menu over the start screen are anything other than arbitrary preference and previous training.On the matter of Linux comparisons... X11, GTK3 and Cinnamon are all very questionable components and an X11 crash is far more likely than a Windows 8 BSOD. Sure, come back when Wayland is a thing, QT5 + KDE Frameworks 5 are off going, but until then Linux is and will be inferior to Windows guaranteed, and will be at about parity when those arrive.And LOL about the "barely use a computer comment." Yeah sure, but you just said your wife does fine with Mint. HMMMMMMMMMMMM...... HMMMMMMMMMMM.....And that last paragraph. Wait, isn't it the desktop that the "typical idiot" would be getting with Linux or Windows 7?Ultimately, your claims against Windows 8 are riddled with contradictions and it's "informed" opinions like yours that are holding Windows 8 back, not its actual merits.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I recently bought a HP laptop with AMD APU and its decent, nothing to write home about.It came with Win 8 (not 8.1) installed.I was ready to throw it out the window after 3 hours of use and countless account errors.If I had the choice, I would have went with Win7 instead, but since it wasn't an option I went with Ubuntu.Definitely feels more like Windows than 8 did.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Great move.I simply wouldn't buy a machine with Win8. Tried it, not for Desktops / Laptops, it is a tablet-first OS.Oh, and it sucks about 10%+ more CPU than Win7 too. Tested it.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
all you windows 8 fanboys suck it up and face the facts windows 8 isn't selling it's the 3rd worst unpopular consumer OS in MS history behind Vista and Me. Its soo bad in fact that MS is going to make Windows 9 a lot more like Windows 7 for desktops. And it's not just your avg joe complaining about Windows 8, many computer experts around the web also have complained about it, You can't force someone to like something if they don't like it, it's that simple. not everyone wants their desktop to act like their cell phone and that's what windows 8 tries to emulate and it failed horribly, those are facts because the lack of market sales continue to show that.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Agreed. HP has really been making some good moves lately with some quality products to go with them.

emad_ramlawi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Microsoft should upstream windows 8 task manger + copy feature + new Storage feature+ plus pre install .net 4.0 to windows 7, and call it windows 7 SP2

You people who are crying about windows 8 are a bunch of whiney b****'*. The 3rd party software to make windows 8 look identical to windows 7 is free! You dont even have to see the new windows 8 screen. Just enter your logon password and go straight to desktop. Windows 8 is better in every way once you apply FREE gui software. God stop being a bunch of stubborn dinosaurs and move on, stop crying and stop ruining progression for the rest of us modern electronic users. Holy crap is this what the xp whiners did too?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
HP should just pre-install ClassicShell with all the options to hide Metro and boot right in, because it works just as well if not better than Windows 7 with better resource use, memory management, etc. Keeping Windows 7 going is just a marketing gimmick.

jamba01

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Absolutely love windows 8, there is not a thing I need it to do that it doesnt. I don't care about metro, but nor do I use it. Love reading all the haters though. Bring back the 8tracks!

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

I wish you could actually post any supporting material that proves he is bullshitting.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
First, learn how to properly quote and edit and FIX your post - then people may believe you have the ability to support your point. Tomshardware has a thingy called a TEXT EDITOR for posting. Allows you to do all kinds of things, including fixing your screw ups. Please do so.

Back to your response: Start Screen offers no benefits over a Start menu. On a tablet/phone - it's a launch screen. Which is needed when you have a small screen. For desktops with 20~32" displays - its crap. A lost of wasted space, it takes focus off what is on the desktop. When I say Start Screen, I mean the whole Metro experience. Imagine a novice trying to follow onscreen help guide that requires the use of the Start screen - the guide is gone. But overall, the human eyes scan a menu in a 6" x 4" area a lot faster than a WHOLE SCREEN! The tiles in Metro are generally ugly, taking up tons of space, no custom colors, etc. The live-tiles are also useless if you're NOT on the start screen. In the normal desktop, the system-tray has notifications that are always visible.. time, status, pop-ups. Now, I offered a solution BEFORE Win8 was farted out its ass onto the public. Use the left side of the screen as a Metro/Start launcher. 2 col. format (like WP7) in which case, the LIVE tiles would have been useful! Then the mouse wheel would make sense with the movement on the screen. Then launch all METRO-APPS into windows like any normal program. Wow, that would have made sense. WE DON'T NEED A FULL SCREEN CALCULATOR!

Other idiotic things, the "start" button was always there in Win8, it was a tiny hidden dot on the corner - great. What fracken idiot came up with that? As we see, they made it normal size in 8.1 and it does the same thing in 8.0... goes to the Start Screen, in which MS called it a day and everyone loved it!! er, no... MS missed the point, because they are stupid and Win8.x market share shrank in Dec 2013. The next update for Win8 has some moronic name like DTRG, rather than 8.2. Maybe its code... but simply calling it 8.2 would be logical. Its how other companies denote differences in products.

Yes, all OSes can have issues. As we see in the server market - Linux is far more stable than Windows will ever be.

Somehow your brain connected two parts of a long comment together which had little to do with each other? When I talked about my wife, it was in reference than even a novice CAN use Linux desktop... I stuck it on her notebook (after I murdered Win8) and spent a few minutes setting up the WiFi and making sure the programs were installed that she needed (Browsers, Open Office, etc). Since Metro isn't compatible with Windows (Metro doesn't have ANY windows as it is) - might as well go Linux and done with MS's games.

The 2nd part you put together has to do with "novice" people in general. IF THEY have to use a desktop computer, they - they'll go by whatever training they retain. For many of us techie types, we can learn and use all kinds of normal functions that novices think are Advance... no matter how many times we show them. yeah, CTRL-V, CTRL-X, CTRL-S, etc are advance to many people. I've shown several over and over and over again.

Windows 8 has no visual clues to its function. Windows 8's changes didn't do anything for the better. But I DO GET what Microsoft was trying to do. Trying to save their asses. But their culture and lack of talent prevents that.

When I first saw Windows 8 preview, I thought "GREAT! WP7's Metro is a fine UI. It'll make PCs easier to use for idiots and novices and it'll help grow their phone market because of familiar UI design" I posted those thoughts on THIS website myself. I THOUGHT Win8 was going to be kick ass. Then in April of 2012, I downloaded and installed the Win8 preview before RTM. It installed fast, it booted so fast on my core2 notebook. The tiles coming out looked cool. And then... I used it. After 15 minutes... I knew Windows 8 was crap. I used it some more... and two hours later, I installed LinuxMINT for the first time. I haven't touched Linux in over 11 years. A few weeks later, I reinstalled Win8 and kept it there until it was going to expire in a few weeks. Murdered it, installed the latest LinuxMint... which runs smoother than Win8. And unlike Windows8, LinuxMINT didn't have the same learning curve... it was enough like Windows that its menus, settings, etc made sense.

Sad thing is... Windows 8.0 release is even uglier than Win8 preview. The desktop UI still had some 3D to it, it was cleaner than Win7 without being the ugly flat crap that is Win8. The kind of ugly 4~16 color desktop I grew up with in the 80s. Yeah, the task manger is awesome, the file-copy window is slick, Explorer is improved, reboot times is faster. Other than that, it offers NOTHING over Windows 7. Not a damn thing... unless you are using a Windows tablet... for which, they tend to still need a keyboard.

When someone designs a "touch UI" that requires a new Microsoft keyboard to "get the most out of Windows 8", you have a problem.

Last part: I held Windows 8 back? Really? You are saying that *I* have cost Microsoft millions of dollars? That *I* have made hundreds of thousands of people NOT buy a Windows 8 PC? Wow, I should be making a lot more money. Actually, I have and do tell people to try out Windows 8. Nobody I know personally, LOVES it... some just live with it, others have replaced it. You see, when a PC from Lenovo Thinkpad and these HP "PRO" computers are shipped out with Windows7, MS still counts them as Windows 8 sales. They sell bulk licence with downgrade rights. Hence, many of these systems include the Win8 image/disc anyway. Windows 8 market share is weak all over the world... not by 5%, but by around 30%. As stated, most people never LIKED Windows... it was a standard. That why you have people who LOVE Macintosh and LOVE Amiga. That cannot be said about MS-DOS or Windows 1.0~XP. I think Windows 7 is the first time I LIKED using Windows. For most people, a smart phone or tablet will do everything they need and it doesn't need to say "Microsoft" to sell. That is why MS controls about 20% of the OS market and Android is about 60%. That is huge... and yes, Mobile devices DO count since they are REPLACING the standard desktop/notebook.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Three things things:
First, HP isn't really introducing new product. They are mostly PRO Envy class computers... so they are simply promoting they have Windows 7 computers for sale.

2nd: Lenovo has been selling ThinkPads with Win7Pro as standard since Win8 was pooped out of Microsoft. Lenovo support totally kills HPs.

3rd: If HP and Lenovo really want to make a difference in sales and prove a point - they MUST sell these products with Windows7 to retail stores (B&M or online).

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
You people are disgusting, you have no business on Tom's Hardware. It is like the entire site's audience has turned in to the rebellious teenager or elderly racist. Windows 8 is at most 10 seconds of learning for an near endless list of improvements.

bmanv13

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

No, you're not an old dog that doesn't want to learn a new trick. "We", as consumers, should not work to adjust to changes. It's the OS that needs to adjust to "us". I, for one of many, think Windows 8 just looks ugly, period. It looks too flat for my taste. The start menu is gone, which is a pity. Yes, I know there are "3rd-party software" to make it look and feel like Windows 7. But the truth is, like I said before, we should NOT have to adapt to our machines. The machines should adapt to us.

bmanv13

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

With a remark like that, you should have no reason to be on Tom's Hardware. We are merely degrading Windows 7/8; debating on which one is better. We are not here to say who has "business" to be here and who doesn't.

bmanv13

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

A lot of us haters, hate the whole idea of Metro and it's ugliness. I'm sure I would have upgraded to Windows 8.x if it weren't how they forced Metro down our throats and removed the Start Menu and despite how flat and block-like it looks to me.

bmanv13

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

There has been a pattern of "sucks" then "awesome" Windows has with their Operating Systems. XP was "awesome"; Vista "sucked"; 7 is "awesome"; and now 8 "sucks". That is not biased at all. Just overall of what I have been hearing. There was also a picture related to it:

Windows+Pattern.+It+should+be+called+Windows+H8_ed1641_4619027.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.