HP Compaq 6200 Pro won't accept a Win7 HD...???

Mar 3, 2018
Hi
Just got a cheap HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT PC Intel Core i5 from ebay as a second PC for my kids

Just needed to load in the ram and Hard Drive...Which I took from one of their old HP PCs

6 GBs and a 600GB HD (the GXT750Ti was an easy install using sata adaptors - don't know why ppl have problems with that...)

But....The HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT PC won't accept the hard drive - which is Windows 7. I put their other hard drive in a 1TB with win10 and it starts up fine...

.....Is there a setting I have to change in the Bios for Win7?

Cheers in advance.... :)

Solution

For the "magic pixies" step read here:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10
Mar 3, 2018

OK...I'm at the level where i can fit ram, PSUs and HD.....if i only have to plug them in! IDE or AHCI is blackmagic to me....

So...It flashes the HP logo for a second.....Then starts to load Win7 for about 3 seconds and goes to 'system restore or load windows normally'

- System restore does nothing...just takes you back to the beginning and start windows normally' does the same..

Yet when I put the HD with win10 on it...it loads fine (Win7 runs OK in its old PC)

And that's me at the limit of my knowledge!! Sorry!

What model was the old HP PC? A SATA controller can be set in IDE, AHCI or RAID mode. The old system may have been set to a different mode than the new one; that usually causes an error 0x0000007B. Check the setting in the BIOS and change it if need be; remember to change it back if you want to reinstall the Windows 10 hard disk.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The most likely problem here is that from your description, you appear to be treating Windows installs on hard drives as modular parts that you can just plug-and-play from PC-to-PC. This is not the case.

Windows 10 can cope better than earlier than previous versions, but it's still always best practice to install a hard drive and *then* format the hard drive and install Windows, because even issues that aren't immediately apparent can bite you down the road, when it will be even more of a pain to do a full, fresh install.

When using older versions of Windows, a fresh install is even *more* urgent (and I'd still recommend it strongly with Windows 10). Also keep in mind that unless this is a retail copy (as opposed to one included with the previous PC or a specific OEM/builder version), Windows 7 is tied to the motherboard and you will need a new license when you eventually get it installed.

Mar 3, 2018
Thanks guys...And yes I just stick things in and plug them in. Worked fine up to now..... :)

The Win& comes from a HP PC and was running fine..The Win10 HD is also from an HP (we don't have any loyalty to HP...just worked out that way)

I doubt we own a disc with either Win7 or Win10 on, I think they came installed.

I'll both HDs are sata ones (well the plugs are) - I'll have a go tomorrow to look in the bios and see if it's 'IDE, AHCI or RAID'.

Worse case I'll but a new HD with Win10 OS already installed and fit the 600GB HD as a second HD.

And, thanks for your help...bloody amazing! Didn't think coming on here would be any good...happily proved wrong. Cheers Guys

USAFRet

Titan

A "setting" ? No.
A full OS reinstall? Yes.

A drive+OS is not a plug and play item. Many issues appear.
From fully nonfunctional, to "why is it telling me it is non-genuine?"

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You're still trying to treat operating systems as modular parts, so there's a very good chance you'll end up right back here! You need to install a hard drive and *then* install Windows. If you don't have media, then use Microsoft's Download Center which has tools to create installation media.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yeah. Pulling a hard drive with Windows 7 installed and installing it into another computer, for the most part, doesn't work. You pretty much need to perform a complete reinstall of the OS. Windows 10 is a lot better at this type of relocation so that's why it's working, but I'd recommend a reinstall anyway.

Now for the problem.

The license for the Windows 7 installation that came from an HP system is tied to that HP computer/motherboard and cannot legally be transferred to another computer. If it is your intent to keep Windows 7 on that system, you will need to purchase a new Windows 7 license.

You can, however, download and install Windows 10, using the media creation tool and run Windows 10 without activation until you can get a legitimate Windows 10 license.

-Wolf sends

Mar 3, 2018
Ahhhh...

Didn't know any of that...So consider me slightly more educated than before...And feeling fairly stupid! All makes perfect sense, I've stumbling around for years in blissful ignorance.

Thanks guys...Last question...

I need to buy a Win7 licence, so...just looking about...(and wanting to keep it all legal) is this OK or just a scam? (in your opinion)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-License-Key-Download-Link-/232683380077

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-10-Pro-Professional-32-64bit-Genuine-License-Key-Product-Code/273090583159?epid=809536399&hash=item3f95779a77:g:iXAAAOSwUbdagYre

I do really appreciate your time on this, learnt a lot.

Cheers

USAFRet

Titan
Buying licensed software from ebay is never a good idea.
Doubly so for a Windows OS.

" £4.00" hahahaha...no.
How many other people did he sell that fake license key to?

A Windows Home OS, be it 7, 8.1, 10...costs around $85USD+. Pro would be 50% more.
£4.00 is an absolute scam.

Mar 3, 2018
OK...I get that...But (work with me here :) )

They are from defective PC, scrapped and under EU Law the licence can be sold if they provide the motherboard & PC.

"OEM, bundled, or recovery software may be listed only if it is included along with the original hardware, such as the motherboard, hard drive, or computer sold with the OEM software."

And as it's ebay, I can just ask paypal to give me my money back if it doesn't work...not being naive but its a crap scam if they have to hand back the cash...surely?

USAFRet

Titan

So you're willingly giving money to someone, for a known scam product, in hopes that they, or someone (paypal), will give it back to you?

It may work initially during the install. In a month or two...then it returns as "not genuine".

Sorry, but there are no valid+cheap Windows OS licenses.

USAFRet

Titan
Alternative solution:

Install Win 10, and run it Unactivated.
When it asks for the license key, click on "I don't have a license key"

It will run, Unactivated, seemingly forever.
There are a few limitations, but unlike previous Windows OS's, it does NOT time out after 30 days.

Limitations are...
A randomly appearing watermark at the bottom right of the screen
No customization of the desktop or taskbar.

That's it.

I have a long running Win 10 Pro install, to test exactly this.
Installed Dec 8 2016. 450 days with no change.

Mar 3, 2018
OK....

So, let's see if I have got this right.
Download Win10 from the nice people at microsoft.
Burn it to a DVD
Install HD
Put burned DVD in Drive
Turn on PC
Magic pixies do their stuff and install Win10
Problem solved

That about it or have I missed a major step (one everyone knows about...just not me!)

USAFRet

Titan

For the "magic pixies" step read here:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution