Mrlostsoul

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
My HP Compaq 8200 Elite Convertible Minitower I use it for web searches, music player, video player.

What I have noticed for the last 3 weeks, USB devices like the keyboard, mouse, and external storage that connects with USB, keep giving errors or disconnecting. The keyboard/mouse itself works fine, then later on, it stops working. The computer may be playing a video file or a video from a website, and an hour or more when I try to use the keyboard/mouse, it doesn't respond. I have to unplug it and plug it back again. Then it works again. In fact, I'm using the computer to write this post. I've used different USB ports, same result.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers in the Device manager. I've tried returning to a previous saved Restore Point. Still the same.

I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit. I know the drivers on the HP website goes only to Win 7. I think maybe a windows update may have changed something. Whatever the case, the only solutions I have not tried is update mother firmware, and update BIOS. I'm concerned that I may not find either for windows 10. Will Win 7 motherboard firmware and BIOS, will they work? Another thing I can try is to update USB drivers from the website. I used HP Support Assistant, but it says everything is up to date. So i wanted to do it myself. The HP site is temp not working.

I'm on here asking, is there any other options I have not tried, or should try? If I have to update BIOS firmware, will I have to downgrade to USB specific firmware, then upgrade to the latest?

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to see if your prebuit has any BIOS updates pending.

You can try and manually reinstall the latest chipset driver listed on HP's support site but install the driver in compatibility mode, i.e, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility>Windows 7 (from the drop down menu).