Question Hp compaq 8200 elite sff keeps crashing after installing gt 1030

Jul 2, 2019
I recently put a gt 1030 into my prebuilt system and i noticed under certain games it would crash. I dont know if its the psu cause Ive heard of people doing the exact same thing and having better results. Could it be the ram? Thanksin advance

Jul 2, 2019
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
When you say "crashes", what do you mean? Is it locking up? Are you getting a BSOD? Do you get any sort of error message? Or is it just hard powering off (as it would do if the power cable was removed)? If it's the latter, that's likely a power issue.

Otherwise we have to start exploring other options. Have you run HWMonitor and checked your CPU temperatures while gaming? Dust can clog up those SFF machines to the point that things go wrong.

Alternatively, it could be driver issue as @Spacey343 is suggesting.

Jul 2, 2019
When you say "crashes", what do you mean? Is it locking up? Are you getting a BSOD? Do you get any sort of error message? Or is it just hard powering off (as it would do if the power cable was removed)? If it's the latter, that's likely a power issue.

Otherwise we have to start exploring other options. Have you run HWMonitor and checked your CPU temperatures while gaming? Dust can clog up those SFF machines to the point that things go wrong.

Alternatively, it could be driver issue as @Spacey343 is suggesting.
I’ll just be playing or browsing windows and a green checkered screen will appear and the pc shuts off. I’ve recently cleaned the pc so I doubt dust is an issue. It might have to do with power but I’m not sure since the gt 1030 doesn’t require much power and the fans aren’t making much noise

Jul 2, 2019
240w should be enough for a 1030 depending on cpu tdp. 240 is lower than what nvidia reccomends tho.

Checkered screen sounds like a gpu or driver issue.
Windows is just going green within seconds of turning the pc on I’m guessing it’s a problem with the gpu itself so might as well get a new one. I’ve heard a 1050 would work in this pc

1050 may work. 240w is a streatch.

If you go back to onboard video now, does this issue go away. Failing to install drivers is a bad sign.

What i would try in this order:
1)Reinstalling windows and installing all drivers.
2)If not fixed by step one, update motherboard bios.
3)if not fixed by step one and 2, reflash vbios uaing nvflash
4) if not fixed by above steps, RMA gpu. If the issue persists, its an issue with your other hardware. A better gpu with higher tdp won't help.

Reactions: rhysiam
Jul 2, 2019
1050 may work. 240w is a streatch.

If you go back to onboard video now, does this issue go away. Failing to install drivers is a bad sign.

What i would try in this order:
1)Reinstalling windows and installing all drivers.
2)If not fixed by step one, update motherboard bios.
3)if not fixed by step one and 2, reflash vbios uaing nvflash
4) if not fixed by above steps, RMA gpu. If the issue persists, its an issue with your other hardware. A better gpu with higher tdp won't help.
Nothings really worked so im just gonna see if i can a refund and get a new 1030 or something. I know ive been saying thank you a lot but I really appreciate the fact youve helped for a while

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Nothings really worked so im just gonna see if i can a refund and get a new 1030 or something. I know ive been saying thank you a lot but I really appreciate the fact youve helped for a while

"get a new", so this one you got was used? Or do you mean a different model? Did you check for a newer BIOS for your motherboard?
For older OEM systems, it is a good idea not to use the latest video card models, they tend to work better with older ones. A 730 GDDR5 may be good if you can't get a 1030 to work.

Jul 2, 2019
"get a new", so this one you got was used? Or do you mean a different model? Did you check for a newer BIOS for your motherboard?
For older OEM systems, it is a good idea not to use the latest video card models, they tend to work better with older ones. A 730 GDDR5 may be good if you can't get a 1030 to work.
The one i bought was new so ill just get a different model and yeah i tried to look for a newer bios but there wasnt one.

I work with Dells and here's what they require.
Using the onboard video, in safe Mode (F8) create a System Restore point. Then remove the GPU drivers.
Then install the GT1030 and make any BIOS changes to PCI video. Install the new drivers.
Another thing to look at is in SFF Dell often uses a little known server spec. PCIe slot with a 27W or other lower limit than the normal 75W. The GT730/1030 are usally OK with this in the Dells. This limit should be stenciled next to the PCIe slot if it exists. In Dell Optiplex almost all of them have a 95W CPU limit and this makes the 240W PSU adequate. Probably the same with HP office computers.

Jul 2, 2019
I work with Dells and here's what they require.
Using the onboard video, in safe Mode (F8) create a System Restore point. Then remove the GPU drivers.
Then install the GT1030 and make any BIOS changes to PCI video. Install the new drivers.
Another thing to look at is in SFF Dell often uses a little known server spec. PCIe slot with a 27W or other lower limit than the normal 75W. The GT730/1030 are usally OK with this in the Dells. This limit should be stenciled next to the PCIe slot if it exists. In Dell Optiplex almost all of them have a 95W CPU limit and this makes the 240W PSU adequate. Probably the same with HP office computers.
I would do that except i cant even load into windows with the gpu in.It just crashes

Jul 2, 2019
You remove the old drivers with the new GPU out. This is done while running the onboard GPU. All GPUs support Safe Mode with no drivers installed. It crashes because the wrong driver are still in there.
I got rid of all the old nvidia drivers and it keeps crashing half way through downloading the new one. I think the cards just broken