HP Compaq dc5850 'Non-system disk or disk error'

Jarrod Mochnick

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my issue. I have a problem with a desktop computer that I cannot seem to figure out. On boot, the screen says 'Non-system disk or disk error. Strike any key when ready.' I am aware this would seem to point to a CD/DVD drive error or something along those lines. There is no media drive connected to the PC at all. I have also tried powering on with the media card reader unplugged and also by removing a firewire card, both doing no good. I have tested the hard drive using SeaTools, doing both the long and short test, and both passed. I have tried going into the BIOS, but before it can go into it the error appears. I have also reseated the RAM since that can sometimes fix issues. Now that I think about it, I have yet to do a memtest on it, could memory possibly be the issue here?

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my issue and I thank you in advance for your help!

Solution
You need to get into the AMD RAID BIOS and set up the logical device. At the blue HP screen, press a key to see the option ROM messages. Eventually you will be presented with an option to press Ctrl+F to access the RAID BIOS. Be careful here if you are already running a RAID array. If not, just set up your single drive as a logical device and that should be it.
You will know if the logical device is setup correctly in the RAID BIOS by using F9 to bring up the boot menu. If the boot menu includes "Hard Drive" then you are good to go.

dthatcher7

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
You need to get into the AMD RAID BIOS and set up the logical device. At the blue HP screen, press a key to see the option ROM messages. Eventually you will be presented with an option to press Ctrl+F to access the RAID BIOS. Be careful here if you are already running a RAID array. If not, just set up your single drive as a logical device and that should be it.
You will know if the logical device is setup correctly in the RAID BIOS by using F9 to bring up the boot menu. If the boot menu includes "Hard Drive" then you are good to go.

Solution
Jun 13, 2019
So I did that AMD thing because I was having the same issue and accidentally hit the delete hard drive button and now I'm not getting a single hard drive to boot from