[SOLVED] HP desktop only gets 100mbit net speed

user850

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
I have an HP P2-1394 desktop and I've recently upgraded to a 500Mbit connection, however, I only get about 97Mbit,which turns out to be because of the net card being 100mbit.is there anything i can do, other than downgrading my net speed?

Solution
So that means I'll have to get a new mobo?
A new motherboard or less than maximum internet speed. The USB ethernet adapter is the cheap approach. You can see if that is good enough. If not then you have to replace the motherboard or entire PC. You could get a factory refub Dell with that would crush that one for performance for about $300 ...

Lipex33

Commendable
May 11, 2017
Your network card is a Atheros AR8152 Ethernet controller and supports data transfer speeds: up to 10/100 Mb/s and you will need a 10/100/1000, but after looking at your motherboard wich will be an Pegatron IPXSB-DM, unfortunatelly you can't use a PCI or PCI Ex 1 network card because you have no expansion slots on you motherboard.

kanewolf

Titan
This picture of the motherboard from a HP P2-1394 --
A639_131072622249145450zkvPK4RbvY.jpg

does not show any expansion options besides USB.
There are USB2.0 ports on the back. You could get a USB to ethernet adapter and get maybe 300Mbit throughput. But you are VERY limited.

kanewolf

Titan
So that means I'll have to get a new mobo?
A new motherboard or less than maximum internet speed. The USB ethernet adapter is the cheap approach. You can see if that is good enough. If not then you have to replace the motherboard or entire PC. You could get a factory refub Dell with that would crush that one for performance for about $300 ...

Solution